SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ssis error in excel connection manager

ssis error in excel connection manager

Author
susmitha117
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,
i have a ssis package where i import excel to sql table destination. . i created a excel connection manager and selected the sheet of excel in excel connection manager. When i am trying to click the 'columns' it gives me the error saying that "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file . It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

I am sure that the file is not opened by anyone. What might be the error?Please help
I am using visual studio 2005. The connection string i used is Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\MyExcel.xls;Extended Properties="Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes;IMEX=1";

Thanks
prabhu.st
prabhu.st
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

1) Ensure the file is not in open state. (in some cases, even though you close that particular file and not the excel, due to cache, you could get this kind of error, of so close all the excel files and (excel as well) try opening) .
2) Ensure you are able to access the folder where the file is available. (there may be permission issues, because the direct permission is differ from the sql server instance permission)

Regards,
Prabhu
twin.devil
twin.devil
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

prabhu.st (7/25/2014)
1) Ensure the file is not in open state. (in some cases, even though you close that particular file and not the excel, due to cache, you could get this kind of error, of so close all the excel files and (excel as well) try opening) .
2) Ensure you are able to access the folder where the file is available. (there may be permission issues, because the direct permission is differ from the sql server instance permission)

Regards,
Prabhu

+1, additionally, sometimes excel tends to hold the document open even if you close the excel it can happen that excel is closed in the explorer but keeps on running in the background. you can also end that process.
susmitha117
susmitha117
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

Thank you! But unfortunately i work on remote desktop. It is recommended that i should not end any processes on the remote desktop's
prabhu.st
prabhu.st
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (198 reputation)

I just had a guess, you were working on the remote machine, better you try with executing sqlcmd for that particular folder and see whether you are able to access it. if "yes", then the file is in open status, if "no" then for sure it is access/permission you had for that particular folder..

(ensure you have the admin privilege on the DB where you work, it is to enable the configuration (sp_configure) to run the sqlcmd)

regards,
Prabhu
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.