SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Not Good Enough For Government Work

Not Good Enough For Government Work

Author
Phil Factor
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Not Good Enough For Government Work

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
andrew gothard
andrew gothard
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

The moral of the story being, if your database vendor doesn't use it for their accounts, don't run your 'bank' on it.

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
SQL2219
SQL2219
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Like I've always said: a good developer recognizes that he can't be an expert in everything. I once had someone ask me if I was a SQL expert, I laughed and said I've been in the software world for 15 years, and I've never even met one!
Andrew Peterson
Andrew Peterson
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

If you give a mechanic a new tool, does he dump all his other tools? No, but it seems developers tend to view the latest new database widget as the replacement for all the others. Anyone remember object databases?

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.
Craigmeister
Craigmeister
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)SSC Veteran (226 reputation)

Without reading the underlying links, I would guess at issue is the classic conflict between .net/java/whatever developers and database architechs/developers/dbas. Like many others on this forum, I have seen both sides and can understand the "whatever" developers desire to do what they want, to just use the database as a more permanent datastore. However, as you've pointed out, the rules/guidelines/best practices are there for a reason and the events revealed the gross lack of understanding/experience/(fill in blank here) of the architects.

The follow up question, as I am responding off the top of my head, are those really 2 separate issues?

1. Don't know or want to know the best practices for handling data and why DB architecture (schema and code for ACID-ity) is important.
2. Don't have the experience with these kinds of systems and the forethought to consider the soundness of the code, not just that it completes the drawn-up workflow diagram, and test for possible security issues.

Amateurs indeed.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

NoSQL databases are a solution to a wide range of niche applications that for the most part didn't exist a decade ago. However, Bitcoin is a revolutionary new business model built on top of what should be a traditional stock trading database, so the concepts of ACID proof transactional processing should still be applied. What's going on is that these NoSQL database vendors are seeking venture capital, so the movement is steeped in kool-aid and guerrilla marketing. A lot of organizations are getting led down the proverbial primrose path.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
patrickmcginnis59 10839
patrickmcginnis59 10839
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

From what I've read, these systems were caching in separate threads and fell victim to "lost transactions." Given the details, I'm not all that sure these guys would have faired any better with a relational database back end with coding and testing like that.

Is it impossible to have acid properties in a system using a non relational database? Using MongoDB? Using any NoSQL?

to properly post on a forum:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/
Robert.Sterbal
Robert.Sterbal
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)

The key measure for all sorts of buggy and risky problems is whether or not they are insurable. These are process questions for the most part, not coding ones.
Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

@patrickmcginnis59

Yes, it is certainly possible to have a NoSQL database that handles ACID properly. It just surprises me that some don't. As I understand the Bitcoin exploit, I can't see how it would have happened with multi-user RDBMS. This is, after all, a problem that is intrinsic to any trading or banking system. The links are well-worth reading if you're interested in the details.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

At least for as long as I can recall, and probably dating back to Sybase, SQL Server has given the developer some flexibility over isolation level. Starting with SQL Server 2014, we now have the DELAYED_DURABILITY database option.

I havn't read up on this particular new feature yet, but does anyone know if ISOLATION LEVEL READ UNCOMMITTED is now even more problematic when combined with DELAYED_DURABILITY = ALLOWED ?

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.