Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial

All the People Smarter than Me - Editorial

Author
abatej
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Not to sound too much like a "me too" but, I also applaud Sarah's article and all of the people who take the time to answer the questions, and help guide all of us to be the best DBA's (accidental or otherwise) that we can be.

Having communities like SSC and PASS make such a huge difference.

I would also like to point out that what makes the Masters just that is their willingness to not only pass on the lessons learned from their own experience, but their desire to continue to learn more and then pass that knowledge on.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support!

John

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Nice first article Sarah (at least here on SSC). If you have others, please let us know where to find them.

Like Grant and Brent, I agree that there has been more time to fiddle with and/or break things. Let's call it experience for good measure (mostly because Grant is older than me and I don't think I am old yet).

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Sarah Wagner
Sarah Wagner
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)
Nice first article Sarah (at least here on SSC). If you have others, please let us know where to find them.

This was my first article. Hopefully not my last. I really appreciate all the positive feedback.
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

This was my first article. Hopefully not my last. I really appreciate all the positive feedback.

Keep going. I am trying to.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)
SQLRNNR (7/1/2014)

It was absolutely well put together.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Doctor Who 2
Doctor Who 2
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)SSC Veteran (287 reputation)

Very good article, Sarah. And it was encouraging to me as well. Thank you for sharing it!

Rod
BadgerBully
BadgerBully
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Sarah - you must introduce yourself to these people (and all of us at SQL events) of whom you speak. I know every one of them personally, great friends, ordinary people, I know stuff they don't know (I think :-) ), they know stuff I don't know. Even though I only seem them a couple times a year, it's all about #SQLFamily. A great group that has a great time when we all get together. Alan White put it best at a recent SQL Saturday when he said everyone has something to contribute. Don't be shy.

Great post, by the way. I, too, dabbled in Java until the SQL databases needed attention. I was hooked at that point as well.

Gill Rowley
quackhandle1975
quackhandle1975
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Sarah Wagner (7/1/2014)

Have some more. :-D

One thing I've noticed in 99.999% of the SQL people I meet @ Bits/Saturdays/Relays/SQLFAQ/etc is how approachable they are and how humble they are, you can ask them any question and they ALWAYS come up with an answer. They are genuinely nice people. (Sorry if that sounds condescending or schmaltzy).

qh

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.
Jim P.
Jim P.
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)Say Hey Kid (683 reputation)

quackhandle1975 (8/5/2014)
One thing I've noticed in 99.999% of the SQL people I meet @ Bits/Saturdays/Relays/SQLFAQ/etc is how approachable they are and how humble they are, you can ask them any question and they ALWAYS come up with an answer. They are genuinely nice people. (Sorry if that sounds condescending or schmaltzy). qh

I think that comes from all of us who work with SQL know we don't and can't know it all. I know the core of SQL and can setup just about any version without thinking abut it. I can also do programming in T-SQL and debug it as well. But I also know that I haven't used every keyword of T-SQL. My new job has some pre-done scripts we use. The one script uses UNPIVOT. I had never seen it before now.

I've barely touched SSIS and don't know SSRS at all. So as soon as you feel high & mighty and all knowing. Go to one of those gatherings and you will not retain that feeling long.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.