SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Log Files

Log Files

Author
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice one, thanks.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (5/22/2014)
Nice one, thanks.

+1

Igor Micev,
My blog: www.igormicev.com
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Nice QOTD Steve.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

Group: Administrators
pmadhavapeddi22 (5/22/2014)
The selection of answer should have been check boxes :-)

No checkboxes as you need to decide if there are additional items for each list. That's why they end with "only"

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

free_mascot (5/22/2014)
Thanks Steve for the question.

It has also been notice that Log file viewer is not displaying all the option at a time. If you open from SQL Server logs it will give you a few options, if you open from SQL Server Agent it will display some different logs, if you view log clicking data collection it will give different sets etc.

I can't cover all the possibilities of what's shown in different places. That also changes across versions.

I was just asking what is possible.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

rhythmk (5/22/2014)
Thanks for the question Steve.

However I think version of SQL server should be mentioned in question as Remote maintenance plans can not be accessed by Log file Viewer in SQL Server 2008.

Fair enough. I've corrected this to 2012. I've been working on 2012 and 2014 only for a few years, so I didn't think about back-checking to 2008.

pchirags
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

nice question steve.
prvmine
prvmine
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

The link provided is for 2014 --
2012 as referenced in the question does not have the same list on MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd206998(v=sql.110).aspx
happycat59
happycat59
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

raulggonzalez (5/22/2014)
thanks for the question,

but why all answers say "only" at the end?? that's a bit confusing since no option has all the types listed in BOL. w00t

+1

With the "only" at the end, I think all of the answers are wrong.

Plus, you can open other log files (.csv, .log files) - although you will need to make sure they have field that the log file viewer knows about

paul s-306273
paul s-306273
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/22/2014)
rhythmk (5/22/2014)
Thanks for the question Steve.

However I think version of SQL server should be mentioned in question as Remote maintenance plans can not be accessed by Log file Viewer in SQL Server 2008.

Fair enough. I've corrected this to 2012. I've been working on 2012 and 2014 only for a few years, so I didn't think about back-checking to 2008.

From the options given I'd have thought it fair to say getting to the correct answer was reasonably easy, so why all the gripes?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.