Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Heaps rebuild

Heaps rebuild

Author
Igor Micev
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Heaps rebuild

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
www.seavus.com
domenico.delbrocco
domenico.delbrocco
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)

nice question: I've never used SORT_IN_TEMPDB and DATA_COMPRESSION and I've never received that warning message, but with a little bit of intuition I got the two points :-)
NicHopper
NicHopper
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

It took me two cups of tea and a little brain power but I got it right!

Nice question by the way, thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my blog

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Two points missed today, but not surprised.
Sean Pearce
Sean Pearce
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

The question is not quite right. Fragmentation can be removed by running this because the table is rebuilt.

Your claim that Paul says you can't remove fragmentation is wrong. Paul doesn't say you can't do it, he says don't do it.

If you think you can use ALTER TABLE … REBUILD in SQL Server 2008 to fix heap fragmentation, you can, but it causes all the nonclustered indexes to be rebuilt as the heap record locations obviously change.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks Igor

The impact of using ALTER TABLE ... REBUILD compared to DBCC SHRINKFILE OR DBCC SHRINKDB

all those side-effects (shudder)...

Louis Hillebrand
Louis Hillebrand
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

A rarely use heaps, but did some research before answering and found my answer on this page http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/c6783244-c558-4a23-8ce4-520ce4a87033/meaning-of-index-fragmentation-return-for-heap-tables?forum=sqldatabaseengine and got the answer "wrong"..
pmadhavapeddi22
pmadhavapeddi22
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

yahoo.... i got it right..

I have created a heap table and inserted data 50,00,000 records and then deleted

Observed the below points

1. page count is reduced before and after the rebuild statement , that implies tables is compressed and rebuilt

2. but found fragmentation is increased.

It took some time to select 4 w00t

finally, I did it right
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Thank for the post, very interesting one.

(Out of 4, I got 2 correct, but learnt a lot today) :-)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
free_mascot
free_mascot
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Good question, Igor. Enjoyed diging the inromation and basics.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.