SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Getting the grid back

Getting the grid back

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)SSC Guru (150K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting the grid back

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
happycat59
happycat59
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Yes, the documentation does say CTRL + Shift + D however, as far as I can tell, this does nothing when using SSMS 2012. CTRL + D does change the output to grid - when the query is next executed. Also, if you go to the menu "Query-->Results To" it shows you the keyboard shortcut for "Results to Grid" which is "Ctrl+D"

When I use CTRL + Shift + D on its own in SSMS 2014, nothing happens because SSMS is waiting for the second key of a chord (in the status line at the bottom of the screen you get the message "(Ctrl+Shift+D) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord...".

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)SSC Guru (68K reputation)

happycat59 (5/15/2014)
Yes, the documentation does say CTRL + Shift + D however, as far as I can tell, this does nothing when using SSMS 2012. CTRL + D does change the output to grid - when the query is next executed. Also, if you go to the menu "Query-->Results To" it shows you the keyboard shortcut for "Results to Grid" which is "Ctrl+D"

When I use CTRL + Shift + D on its own in SSMS 2014, nothing happens because SSMS is waiting for the second key of a chord (in the status line at the bottom of the screen you get the message "(Ctrl+Shift+D) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord...".

+1

I believe there is a problem with the documentation and in this case the question was meant for 2014 instead of 2012 as the question states. I answered for 2012 and discovered I was wrong though CTRL+D is accurate in 2012 and does work.

In SSMS 2014, if I use CTRL+D, it will toggle me from text output to grid output. CTRL+Shift+D does nothing for me. I think this is another one of those opportunities for a connect item with MS.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Am I the only one who thought the question was worded a bit strange?

However you would not like to get the results back in a grid

Anyway, as stated above, the "correct" answer is clearly incorrect.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Louis Hillebrand
Louis Hillebrand
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Tried on 2012, Ctrl+D toggles between text and grid output, Ctrl+Shift+D does nothing with me.

Lost one valuable point...
twin.devil
twin.devil
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (5/16/2014)

+1, Hehe

by the way nice question STEVE, its our fault not to understand the significance of "NOT" keyword :-P
Stuart Davies
Stuart Davies
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)

+1

I always thought (and have found it to work in all version of SSMS I've used) CTRL+R toggles showing / hiding the results.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden Smart way to ask a questionThere are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

CTRL+T - for text
CTRL+D - for grid
in my ssms 2008r2, 2012 and 2014.

Igor Micev,
My blog: www.igormicev.com
Mighty
Mighty
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

I also thought the wording was strange, in fact I thought the "not" was there by accident. Which was supported by the title of the question "Getting the grid back". So I choose for the least wrong option.
pmadhavapeddi22
pmadhavapeddi22
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

twin.devil (5/16/2014)

+1, Hehe

by the way nice question STEVE, its our fault not to understand the significance of "NOT" keyword :-P

+1

nice question STEVE, its our fault not to understand the significance of "NOT" keyword :-P
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.