SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Just Enough know-how

Just Enough know-how

Author
Jim Youmans-439383
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)Right there with Babe (715 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Last week, the developer asked me if it would be OK to add indexes to columns A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H, and I on TableA? I was a bit confused and asked him why? He said it would speed up the query so I asked to see the query. He said he didn't have it because EF created it, but indexes speed up queries right?

Seriously, I couldn't make that up. And this is the lead developer for the project.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)

BWFC (5/12/2014)
Jeff Moden (5/12/2014)
I've started a real pushback on all of this. It's amazing how many of the candidates (something like 22 out of 24) can't answer the first question, which is "using T-SQL, how do you select the current date and time"? If they can't answer that, the interview is over. It's a total waste of time if they can't get beyond that.

I've only been using T-SQL for just over twelve months and I'm largely self-taught as are the other members of the team. A question like 'how do you select the current date and time?' would actually make me a little nervous. I know how I'd do it:
Select GETDATE()
but I'd be worried about the sharp intake of breath and termination of the interview that may follow. I know I don't know the in depth stuff, and I'm constantly learning, but I wouldn't be at all surprised that the basics I thought I knew were wrong.

If you only had a year's worth of experience, I wouldn't be trying to hire you for a Senior position. :-) The other thing is that I start the interview off by explaining to the candidate that I ask no trick questions and that the obvious answer is good enough. Although I'd love for a candidate to be able to actually explain he (s)he'd use Itzik's cascading CTE method to produce a table containing a single column of whole numbers from 1 to a million, I won't fault someone for correctly describing the way to do it with a While loop... that's just a matter of training that I can take care of after we hire someone. Just like the "GETDATE()" or "CURRENTTIMESTAMP" question, though, very few candidates have a clue as to how to do such a thing even with a While loop. It's terribly difficult for me to believe that someone claiming 5 to more than 10 years of experience can't do either.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Nevyn
Nevyn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Gary Varga (5/12/2014)

Having seen the (terrible) level of knowledge that developers who think that they are experts in SQL Server have as well, I am little surprised at Jeff's frustration. It appears that the level to satisfy "just enough know-how" is far lower than it should be across the board. This must not be deemed acceptable so that we can raise the bar(s).

Having experienced it myself, I will say one of the things with SQL Server and database work in general is that you actual have to increase your knowledge past a certain point before you even grasp how much you don't know.

As a result, a lot of those "just enough" people don't even realize how limited their knowledge is.

As an example, my abilities in SQL server are light years ahead of where I was a few years ago. But despite all that progress, I also have way more on my "to learn" list now than then. Because on many topics, I knew so little that I wasn't even aware of what the holes in my knowledge were, much less how deep those holes were.
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Nevyn (5/13/2014)
Gary Varga (5/12/2014)

Having seen the (terrible) level of knowledge that developers who think that they are experts in SQL Server have as well, I am little surprised at Jeff's frustration. It appears that the level to satisfy "just enough know-how" is far lower than it should be across the board. This must not be deemed acceptable so that we can raise the bar(s).

Having experienced it myself, I will say one of the things with SQL Server and database work in general is that you actual have to increase your knowledge past a certain point before you even grasp how much you don't know.

As a result, a lot of those "just enough" people don't even realize how limited their knowledge is.

As an example, my abilities in SQL server are light years ahead of where I was a few years ago. But despite all that progress, I also have way more on my "to learn" list now than then. Because on many topics, I knew so little that I wasn't even aware of what the holes in my knowledge were, much less how deep those holes were.

Me too.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.