Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using Dual Monitors vs Single Large Monitor

Using Dual Monitors vs Single Large Monitor

Author
matthew.f.unger
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
LightVader (5/12/2014)I've used Synergy. It works fairly well, but I always had an issue with it when I tried to unlock my computers. Since both my desktop and and laptop are windows-based, I've switch to Mouse Without Borders. It has a few more features then Synergy, but you lose the cross-platform ability.

Thanks! I'll give it a try as I'm all Windows all the time on the client side.
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

thomashohner (5/12/2014)
I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

Apart from straining the neckHehe, not really, most who I have seen flip it back after a little while.
Cool
thomashohner
thomashohner
Old Hand
Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)

Thoughts on this bundle? Seems pricey but I'm a very cheap kind of guy. You guys think this is worth the $750?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=DP2414H&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=262075&lid=4742361&acd=1230980794501410

***SQL born on date Spring 2013:-)
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
thomashohner (5/12/2014)
I have also been reading about portrait mode any one use this? Flip your monitor vertically for longer coding?

A few of the Red Gate devs do this. I haven't usually had the space, but I'm thinking to try this with one of my 24" monitors. Course, I want to get a third, 20" one, hooked up first.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
thomashohner
thomashohner
Old Hand
Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)Old Hand (343 reputation)

Steve, if and when you get the third please let me know how that goes. I have been debating that also. If two is good threes got to be better:-D

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I used to have four. However on the standing desk, I found myself looking down more than I'd like at the lower two.

One of the lower ones died, and that messed me up for a bit.

What I'd like to do is fix my keyboard situation (on my list) and then put a third monitor in line with the other two (need some stand). Then I'll flip one and use that.

I used to have 3 in a row at a sitting desk, and it worked Ok, but really I used the third one for stuff to monitor, but not really work with. The throw from side to side was too far, and didn't work well for my neck.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
thomashohner
thomashohner
Old Hand

Nice!, I think the posture neck thing is definetly hard to deal with. Its trying to find that perfect comfortable angle.

This is my office setup currently. It sits a little to low for my liking. Cant raise it because of the way my desk is configured. I will be working from home soon so I will be building a new rig from scratch.

samalex
samalex
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)

My primary computer at work is a laptop with 17" screen, so that and a second monitor (I think 19" - never measured it) is what I use. There's no way I could function with just a single monitor. I also have a second computer at my desk with one monitor I use quite often, and with it I have three monitors at my disposal. I used to use Synergy to share my clipboard between the computers which was NICE, but it's too buggy so I just save to a shared and reopen on the other computer now in the rare occasion I have to copy between systems.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

I say stick with what works. 2 or more monitors is pretty much a base requirement these days.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

thomashohner
thomashohner
Old Hand

This appears to be a good time of year to shop for some. I just don't know much about the different brands. I do know when I get my new ones finally ordered that I want something good with text, easy on the eyes and HDMI input.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.