SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Gadget Itch

The Gadget Itch

Author
GoofyGuy
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thomas Edison once said, 'The chief function of the body is to carry the brain around.'

As a software developer, I have a similar view of hardware. Its chief function is to carry around the 'brain' (i.e., software).

I really don't care much about the hardware, so long as it does its job.
John Abate
John Abate
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (164 reputation)

I have spent a bunch of time the last few years building controller boards from kits to control my christmas lights. I then created control sequences synchronized to music which is broadcast over a low power FM radio transmitter. I also have an arduino uno board and a propeller board that I have been playing around with. I have been contemplating getting into robotics using them.
below86
below86
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

OCTom (5/2/2014)
A friend of mine recently made a wireless device to light up and make a sound when he hit a target on the shooting range.

It was interesting to see him go from idea to working device. It was a process similar to what I go through when programming.

Yesterday was the 50th birthday of BASIC. I think I will write a BASIC program at work today. :-)

WOW BASIC, now that takes me back. I didn't know it was that old, I think I first learned it in about 1980. First language I learned, but Tubo PASCAL is what stole my heart, around 1985.

Not really into gadgets, I didn't have a cell phone until 2 years ago. Got my first computer, as an adult, about 8 years ago. My first was a Tandy something, I think it had a whole 14K of memory, maybe it was 24K.

-------------------------------------------------------------
we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.