wonder if anybody has experience with a "slick" move of SQL server installation ( OLTP, SSAS, SSRS, SSIS, Replication subscriber ) to another server with "faking" sql server to "think" it's still on the same server?
I'm thinking of these steps ( server names for this example : OLDSERVER (current), NEWSERVER (new) :
1. build new server with SQL Server installation mimicking the original setup as NEWSERVER
2. shutdown all SQL services on NEWSERVER
3. shutdown all SQL services on OLDSERVER
4. rename OLDSERVER to DEADSERVER in AD and shut it down. clean up DNS / AD of all references of OLDSERVER.
5. copy all SQL server data/logs directories (incl. system db's ) to NEWSERVER in the same locations
6. rename NEWSERVER to OLDSERVER and add it to domain
7. start up the "new" box as OLDSERVER
8. start up all SQL Services
Any idea if I can get away with that ? is there anything that I need to do to make it work like this ?
your comments are highly appreciated !