Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cluster Disk Resources Migration

Cluster Disk Resources Migration

Author
jayoub
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
System Specs
2 Node Cluster Active/Active each with an instance
Windows Server 2003
SQL Server 2005

Project: we are changing our SAN from an HP EVA to NetApp and we needed the drives in the cluster moved to the NetApp

Plan: The SAN Admin provisioned drives from the NetApp to both nodes on the cluster, I added the disk resources to the cluster keeping the old disk resources there (for rollback if needed), I then shut off the SQL Server Services, copied all the Database files, Log Files, Program File Folders and MS SQL Server folders from the old drives to the new drives, give the old drive new names, Drive letters and Cluster Resource names and then gave the new disk the name, drive letters and cluster resource names of the old disks. Hope that was not more work than needed. I did this because of the Program File Folders and did not want to spend hours detaching and attaching databases.

Problem: the exact same problem happened on both servers.
A: When I first tried to start SQL Server Service it failed (would not start in a timely manner), I checked the event log and found access denied messages to errorlog files. I tried several permission modifications, but the one that fixed it was to give Users Full control to the whole MS SQL Server folder.

B: I got the service started, but when I tried to access the properties of any of the database I would get an error … disk either does not have sufficient space, there is not enough memory or access is denied. I also tried several permission modifications like taking owner ship, letting folders inherited from parent, but the fix was to give the SQL Service Account full control to the DATA and LOG folders. Once done the database properties and tables could be viewed.

I don’t understand why I had to add this permission to get SQL to work. I copied all these folders from the original EVA SAN Disk drives to the new Net App SAN and all the permission were exactly the same.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem?

Your help is appreciated.

Jeff
Matt Crowley
Matt Crowley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)

My memories of Windows 2003 are getting a little dim (thankfully). Do you have something like UAC (User Access Control) enabled on the server? In know this can be a problem accessing some of the folders on a Windows 2008 server.
jayoub
jayoub
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

Thanks for replying.

No there is not UAC on these servers as far as I know.

Jeff
EdVassie
EdVassie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

If you copy the folders without also explicitly copying the permissions, then the problems you had would be expected. The SQL Server install sets a lot of folder permissions which are needed if SQL Server is to run correctly.

Both XCOPY and ROBOCOPY have parameters which force the copying of permissions. The COPY command and copy/paste within Windows Explorer does not copy permissions.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 1 Dec 2016: now over 39,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Quote: "When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist." - Archbishop Hélder Câmara
jayoub
jayoub
SSC-Enthusiastic

I understand.

Thank you very much for the help. Next time i will use XCOPY or ROBOCOPY to move the data.

Your help is much appreciated.

Jeff
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.