SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Simulate message poisoning in Service Broker

Simulate message poisoning in Service Broker

Author
grantbanjo
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,
I have set up Service Broker in a test database running on SQL Server 2008 R2. Within this service broker I have applied the steps defined in the following link to send an email alert when message poisoning takes place (five consecutive transaction rollbacks to a queue producing a "Broker:Queue disabled" event).

http://blog.maskalik.com/sql-server-service-broker/setup-disabled-queues-email-notification/

In order to test this I need to simulate message poisoning. As I am new to Service Broker, can somebody provide the steps of simulating message poisoning with five consecutive rollbacks of a transaction to a queue?

Thanks,
Grant
LutzM
LutzM
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

A poisoned message is a message leading to an error because of the message itself and not a database condition.
For instance, a message leading to a deadlock is not a poisoned message because it can complete with the next retry.
A message leading to a primary key violation will always fail, regardless of the number of retries (assuming there's no DELETE operation in between...).

To test such a scenario, find a message condition that'll pass your validation process (I hope, there's such a code section ;-) ) but will still fail, leading to a rollback of the code activated by the message.

Without knowing the tasks you trigger with a SSSB message it's hard to tell how to simulate a poisoned message...

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
grantbanjo
grantbanjo
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

Thanks for your help. I was overthinking things and realized that all I had to do was temporarily apply a "SELECT 1/0" in my activation stored procedure and that did the trick... along with applying a RAISERROR.
grantbanjo
grantbanjo
Old Hand

As a follow up, I found that applying the RAISERROR will create a message in the queue with a status = 1, but does not automatically disable the queue, as will take place with actual message poisoning (following five consecutive rollbacks of a transaction). Since duplicating this with a problem transaction can be tricky from one system to another, the best approach is to just send a message and force five rollbacks with the following SQL (applying your own queue name in place of the <> brackets).

DECLARE @ch UNIQUEIDENTIFIER
DECLARE @messagetypename NVARCHAR(256)
DECLARE @messagebody XML

WHILE (1=1)
BEGIN
BEGIN TRANSACTION
WAITFOR (
RECEIVE TOP (1)
@ch = conversation_handle,
@messagetypename = message_type_name,
@messagebody = CAST(message_body AS XML)
FROM <queue name> --TargetQueue
), TIMEOUT 60000

IF (@@ROWCOUNT = 0)
BEGIN
ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
BREAK
END

-- Rolling back the current transaction
PRINT 'Rollback the current transaction - simulating a poison message...'
ROLLBACK TRANSACTION
END
GO

In the Message tab below this should display five lines beginning with "Rollback" and a final line stating that queue is currently disabled. This will take around 30 seconds to return.

To clean up the queue, find each unique conversation_handle in the queue with a status = 1 and manually apply one at a time in the following SQL. For the above code, there should only be one unique conversation handle.

Format:
END CONVERSATION '<conversation_handle>' WITH CLEANUP

Example:
END CONVERSATION '28D53504-42CB-E311-9E82-B8CA3A5EE06C' WITH CLEANUP

When done, re-enable the queue with the following SQL.
ALTER QUEUE <queue name> WITH ACTIVATION (STATUS = ON)

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.