Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Trying to create Hierarchy in BIDS from DimTable

Trying to create Hierarchy in BIDS from DimTable

Author
plmarshall
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi - I am trying to create a hiearchy from a Dim Table linked to the SQL DB and I'm having difficulty. I am using Visual Studio 2008 and Analysis Services server 2005. My SQL Server DB is in 2005.

I have a simple dimension with County, State and Region. The hierarchy is pretty straight forward. County Code is the primary key and is the leaf level (lowest level of detail), and I want County to role up to State and then State to roll up to Region.

I am not a programmer of SSAS so I would like to do this through the UI. I have tried so many permutations of what I thought would be fairly straight forward, I am out of ideas. I've tried many different attribute relationships, created new hierarchies, tried custom rollup property, etc.

If someone can run me through the steps I tried or have new ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Please provide as detail steps as possible.

Thanks,
Paul
plmarshall
plmarshall
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I was able to solve the issue by creating a relationship between county and state, and county and region. I was able to go through trial and error until I got it to work. Had to create a new hiearchy with the relationships and it works well.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.