SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Setting job schedule

Setting job schedule

Author
navtec
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I have a job which I would like to run once between the hours of 11pm and 3am.

The schedule in SSMS does not seem to allow me to specify start and end run times.

How can I do this?

Thanks.
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

Have you tried the Starting at and Ending at fields in the Daily frequency section?

John
navtec
navtec
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)Right there with Babe (742 reputation)

Hi John,

I would have to choose it to run every second. So would it start and stop running every second?

I am running a trace and so would like it to run continuously without any interruptions.
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

The job will start at the time specified in the schedule and run until it finishes. If you're running a trace, you probably need two jobs - one to start it at 11pm and one to stop it at 3am.

John
navtec
navtec
Right there with Babe

Ok will do, thanks.
navtec
navtec
Right there with Babe

If I was to use only one job will the trace still start and stop at specified times?

If using two jobs would I add my trace script in both jobs or just the start time job?

Or could I add 2 schedules into the same job one for start and one for stopping?

What would work best for this?

Thanks.
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSC-Dedicated

zedtec (4/1/2014)
If I was to use only one job will the trace still start and stop at specified times?

If using two jobs would I add my trace script in both jobs or just the start time job?

Or could I add 2 schedules into the same job one for start and one for stopping?

What would work best for this?

Thanks.

(1) No, unless sp_trace_start (or whatever it's called) allows you to specify how long the trace will run before it stops
(2) No, the second one would just run sp_trace_stop (or whatever it's called)
(3) You can have more than one schedule for the same job, but that wouldn't work here, because you've got two separate tasks. Therefore, the only way to schedule them separately is to put them in separate jobs.

John
free_mascot
free_mascot
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

It you are talking abou the job you can schedule it to run daily every 10 second between 23:00 to 3:00 hrs. However it won't be possible to set it to schedule every 1 second by single schedule.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
navtec
navtec
Right there with Babe

The sp_trace_create specifies the stop date and time for the trace.

I guess if I set it a start time it should be ok to stop by itself......
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)

You can specify a stop time for a trace. So you just need the job to start it and then it will run until the @stoptime property. You can read more about it in the Books Online.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.