SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

importing to SQL Server from .txt

importing to SQL Server from .txt

Author
KoldCoffee
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
No Phil, that is not correct. You wrote to go to Advanced Editor of Flat File Source. But you didn't say to go to the Connection Manager for the Flat File Source. Very important distinction for anyone else who may read that.

This was NOT solution:
....from flat file source to destination, using the Advanced Editor to view the data types that SSIS is using as the data passes through the pipeline.

This was solution:
from Flat File Connection Manager, Click Edit, and go to Advanced and evaluate that the size of the property 'OutputColumnWidth' accommodates the size of the input.

Flat File Source and Flat File Connection Manager are two different things:-)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)
No Phil, that is not correct. You wrote to go to Advanced Editor of Flat File Source. But you didn't say to go to the Connection Manager for the Flat File Source. Very important distinction for anyone else who may read that.

This was NOT solution:
....from flat file source to destination, using the Advanced Editor to view the data types that SSIS is using as the data passes through the pipeline.

This was solution:
from Flat File Connection Manager, Click Edit, and go to Advanced and evaluate that the size of the property 'OutputColumnWidth' accommodates the size of the input.

OK, I see your point. It was not as precise as it could have been.

But notice how I used lower case for 'flat file source' and 'destination' - also very important, at least in my head (:-)), because without capitals they are not defined terms - just a generic source (which happens to be a flat file) and some destination.

My intention was for you to trace the entire data path, from beginning to end, which includes the definition of the file. My apologies.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Ooooh, I didn't interpret the lower case f's as intended ;-)

Phil, you're really a great resource on these forums and have helped a huge amount in my past three years. I won't take that from you:-)
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)SSC Guru (52K reputation)

KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)
Ooooh, I didn't interpret the lower case f's as intended ;-)

..along with >99% of others, I would guess :-D

Phil, you're really a great resource on these forums and have helped a huge amount in my past three years. I won't take that from you:-)

Thank you very much!

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
aaron.reese
aaron.reese
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron
KoldCoffee
KoldCoffee
SSCarpal Tunnel

oh man aaron, why did you do that? Now we hazard to leave out other names like dwain.c, SeanLange, jeff Moden, ChrisM@Work, and ofcourse others that don't immediately come to mind. Yes, there's a special group in here, and then ColdCoffee helped me a lot once too.
The key has been that those people who have trusted our motivation to learn and gave what we asked for, when we asked, and in a way that was digestable (baby spoons). I have grown tremendously as a result of those who helped here.
Yup, Phil.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

KoldCoffee (4/9/2014)

This was NOT solution:

This was solution:

Ah yes, the flat file is the only exception where the connection manager dictates the metadata of the columns, not the source component itself.
But in the advanced editor of the flat file source you can see in the external/output columns the length of the strings coming in, so that might have given a clue.

Glad you got it resolved though, truncation errors can be a pain.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

aaron.reese (4/10/2014)
+1 from me

Phil, Gail and Koen are some of the most generous and helpful forum members on any board I visit and their opinions and advice have saved (or earned) me hundreds of pounds and weeks of work and their contribution is rarely recognised.

In general this board is the most friendly and active technical forum I use with very little flaming and enduring patience for noobs. Creds go out to all the users. Other folks worthy of a mention here include Lynne Pettis and even Joe Celko (whom we love to hate)

If any are going to SQL Bits in Telford, Shropshire in June, I would feel honoured to buy them a drink.

Aaron

Thanks for the kind words :-)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)SSC Guru (96K reputation)

aaron.reese (4/10/2014)
+1 from me

Aaron

Blush Thank you for the kind words, I for one am humbled.

As for being at SQL Bits, maybe one day but I will still be in Afghanistan in June. Please, drink one for me!

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.