Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Divide and Conquer

Divide and Conquer

Author
Phil Factor
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Divide and Conquer

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Yet Another DBA
Yet Another DBA
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)

Been suggesting the use of schemas to developers since 2000 at different companies. But still too many of them want the quickest solution now and tomorrow is some distant event for someone else to sort out.

For me its been a useful technique, especially on the evolving projects.
Megistal
Megistal
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Here, the schema is used as a namespace, a name container just like in .Net for instance, no security are used against them (anyway everything use SysAdmin role privilege, and no way they will changed that either).

Why? Simply because that "mentality" is closer to their working mind set (no one here understand / knows what the schema can be used for)
LightVader
LightVader
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)

Megistal (3/24/2014)
Here, the schema is used as a namespace, a name container just like in .Net for instance, no security are used against them

I'm using schemas this way in the current project I'm developing. Though 2 of the schemas I intend to add security functions to as well.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
mosaic-287947
mosaic-287947
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)

It seems to me that schemas need to be part of the initial database design and will be used mainly for larger databases that need a formal design phase.
Many departmental databases started life as someone's informal personal project and are unlikely to have well thought-out schemas. And once they are in general use it is almost impossible to retro-fit schemas without breaking the automation and reporting scripts that will have sprung up around it.
Yet Another DBA
Yet Another DBA
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)SSC Veteran (204 reputation)

mosaic-287947 (3/25/2014)
It seems to me that schemas need to be part of the initial database design and will be used mainly for larger databases that need a formal design phase.

It certainly helps to have a design phase.

Many departmental databases started life as someone's informal personal project and are unlikely to have well thought-out schemas. And once they are in general use it is almost impossible to retro-fit schemas without breaking the automation and reporting scripts that will have sprung up around it.

Yes it can be difficult, but also well worth while to implement. Leave it too late and it can be even more problematic.
Jon Russell
Jon Russell
Old Hand
Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)Old Hand (335 reputation)

Great article. I have been pushing the use of AD groups and schemas for years for adminstration purposes. Unfortunately, many do not want to take the time to set it up correctly. Now I will just send this article to explain the benefits of using a schema-based security model.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.