SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Updating Statistics

Updating Statistics

Author
Dana Medley
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
sestell1 (3/14/2014)
OCTom (3/14/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/14/2014)
Richard Warr (3/14/2014)
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (3/14/2014)
Interesting question, thanks Steve.
Misread the question, thought it meant the highest level that a single command can be used...

ah well...

Same here Doze

+1
Didn't get the intent of the question, so I choose database level.

Yup. Same here. Ermm

Arrrgggh.... me too. Crazy
I have to stop answering these first thing in the morning. Ermm

Almost happened to me and then I second guessed myself. Thanks for the question Steve.

Everything is awesome!
hakan.winther
hakan.winther
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Well, it depends:
sp_updatestats updates only the statistics that require updating based on the rowmodctr information in the sys.sysindexes catalog view, thus avoiding unnecessary updates of statistics on unchanged rows.

That is, if the rowmodctr is too low, the statistics is not updated.

Anyway, if you experience problem with statistics, you should try to add the traceflags in SQL Server 2008R2 (sp2) or later:
2371, Changes the threashold for auto update stats for large tables
2389, Changes the behaviour of known incrementing columns like IDENTITY
2390, Changes the behaviour of columns with incrementing values like a datetime column with incrementing values.

(Or wait 'til SQL server 2014)

/Håkan Winther
MCITPBigGrinatabase Developer 2008
MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
MCSE: Data Platform
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Nice question, I had forgotten that sp_updatestats existed so I got it wrong. Maybe now I'll remember ;-)

Tom

pchirags
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

nice explanation steve.
thanks.
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

sestell1 (3/14/2014)
OCTom (3/14/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (3/14/2014)
Richard Warr (3/14/2014)
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (3/14/2014)
Interesting question, thanks Steve.
Misread the question, thought it meant the highest level that a single command can be used...

ah well...

Same here Doze

+1
Didn't get the intent of the question, so I choose database level.

Yup. Same here. Ermm

Arrrgggh.... me too. Crazy
I have to stop answering these first thing in the morning. Ermm

- 1 w00t
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

TomThomson (3/14/2014)
Nice question, I had forgotten that sp_updatestats existed so I got it wrong. Maybe now I'll remember ;-)

How did I miss that?! the database level.Hehe
ClaireM
ClaireM
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

Oh dear. Would have gone for the correct answer if I hadn't paused and asked myself what this question really wanted. My interpretation was that you can't update statistics on multiple tables using just one statement which left only the database level.
I'll avoid any questions in the future that make me wonder what they are asking for.
julienchappel 38298
julienchappel 38298
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)

The database leve and sp_udatestats is the correct answer. Please read carefully your own question.
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Easy one for me.thanks

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.