Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Analysis Services Multidimensional

Analysis Services Multidimensional

Author
sneumersky
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Analysis Services Multidimensional
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

I guess the more questions there are on topics I know zilch about the sooner I will get around to learning something about SSAS. So I definitely welcome questions like this one, although it took me a lot of burrowing through MSDN and trying to understand new things to discover the answer. So a really good question.

One thing I noticed was that MSDN is a terrible source for information on this - I couldn't find anything that directly answerd the question. I was quite hard to stitch the varions clues together and come up with teh correct result. I hate it when software has documentation which doesn't provide a decent conceptual model which woul include things like this. So thanks for the reference in the explanation to the Kejser and Lee document - that will help fill the gap for me (and probably ensure that I continue to have more to do than I have time for, as I suspect it will be a long read).

Tom

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Easy one!
Thanks!
:-)

I run on tuttopodismo
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

I also found this doc from MSDN that explains the answer
SSAS2005PerfGuide.doc

I run on tuttopodismo
free_mascot
free_mascot
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Not an easy one. But good QotD.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
pchirags
pchirags
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

good QOTD.
Thanks Steven.
ron.podl
ron.podl
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Nice diagram here:
[url=http://jeremykingsql.blogspot.ca/2012/03/analysis-services-shrinkable-vs-non.html][/url]
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks, Steven
I knew about the dimension data and frequently used calculated cells, but, never having used subcubes before, this was new to me.
learned something new today. Wow

sneumersky
sneumersky
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

No problem, folks. For me, learning SSAS was like learning organic chemistry--a lot of repetition, hands-on practice, and reading the right material that "spoke to me in just the right way". More SSAS questions are on their way this week. :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.