SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Compression

Compression

Author
Igor Micev
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Compression

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
My blog: www.igormicev.com
free_mascot
free_mascot
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Good one.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

It is too much easy and logical!
:-D

I run on tuttopodismo
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Easy one, thanks Igor.

patricklambin
patricklambin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

I would suggest to read
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964719.aspx
you will discover
"•Whether the database is compressed.

If the database is compressed, compressing backups might not reduce their size by much, if at all."
Maybe I have missed something with my poor understanding of the English language, but , according to me , it means that you must not hope a significant gain of space with a compressed backup on a compressed database.
I have done several tests with a Developer 2008 R2 edition 2 years ago and I have obtained a decrease of 1% which is ridiculous.

I recognize that I have only a Windows 7 desktop with "classical" disks. Maybe , on a "super" Windows Server 2012 with marvelous disks , the gain could be more visible, but if you have to pay twice ( or more ) to gain 20% of space , I am not sure that it is valuable solution ( less space is good but , if my remembrance is good , what a waste of time especially in case of disaster )

Have all a nice day

PS : I hope you will excuse my poor written English
pmadhavapeddi22
pmadhavapeddi22
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I too agree with patrick, When we are compressing already compressed db we wont get much space in it. That is why i feel option C is correct

thanks
sqldoubleg
sqldoubleg
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Thanks for the question!

It's pretty much the same as if you try to zip (or rar or whatever) an already compressed file... there's no much room for compression there! :-D
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

Thank goodness logic still prevails :-D
Good question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

pmadhavapeddi22 (1/30/2014)
I too agree with patrick, When we are compressing already compressed db we wont get much space in it. That is why i feel option C is correct

thanks

Precisely. If one database is 50GB native and the other 50GB compressed, then you're going to get more compression when backing up the first database than when backing up the second. Hence the first backup will be smaller. There are ciircumstances in which C would be the correct answer - for example if your uncompressed backup contained mainly uncompressible LOB data - JPEG files, maybe. In that case, you wouldn't get much compression when backing it up.

John
patricklambin
patricklambin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Hello John Mitchell ,
Thanks for your reply which is confirming what I was thinking especially about LOB and maybe FILESTREAM ( and what about the FileTables ? )
Maybe the creator of the question could tell us the amount of memory he/she used for the tests. My own tests were done with 16 GB , but maybe with 64 or 128 GB ( or more ) , the results should be different. I am retired ( 67 years old ) and so I have not the same necessities about memory or disks or processors than a big company. So my tests may be not reflecting the usual state in the "work" world.
A little general reproach for the creators of this Question of Day : maybe it would be useful to indicate the version(s) of SQL Server which is(are) concerned by the question. It is not the st time I am seeing a possible problem in the "good answer". Even on the forums ( MSDN/TechNet/SQL Server Central ) it is difficult to obtain a full view of his/her SQL Server ( full edition, physical configuration ...).
Have a nice day
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.