SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

moving sql to vmware vshere memory concerns

moving sql to vmware vshere memory concerns

Author
mstephens1754
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (129 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I just created a Windows 2012 VM that will be running SQL Server 2012 I will also be creating a VM that needs to run SQL 2008. I have some concerns in regards to memory as of right now the 2012 vm has 8 gigs of ram. I would like to know how did everyone here guarantee that sql server got 8 gigs of ram did you go in an create a resource pool for your sql servers or did you edit the properties of the vm and manually configure the memory reservation? Anyway I'm curious in knowing how you are all handling memory in a virtual environment.
benjamin.reyes
benjamin.reyes
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (529 reputation)

Are there going to be any other machines running on the host? How critical is this vm? The way to guarantee resources in VMWare is with reservations. You didn't mention any of the host resources, or the resources for the second vm.

You need to make sure the host has the minimum resources to function.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.resourcemanagement.doc_40/managing_memory_resources/c_understanding_memory_overhead.html

Here are some recommendations from Brent Ozar on the guest.

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/11/how-to-set-sql-server-max-memory-for-vmware/

When we build new virtual machines, we need to come up with three numbers:
• The guest’s memory – this is the amount of memory the guest thinks it has when it starts up. Let’s say we’re building a virtual machine with 32GB of memory.
• SQL Server’s max memory – I like to set this to leave 4GB of memory for the OS or 10%, whichever is greater. In this case, we’d set SQL’s max memory at 28GB, which would leave 4GB free for the OS.
• The VMware reservation – the lowest amount of memory the guest will have. Ideally, this is 100% of the guest’s memory, but that’s not always practical. If a host crashes, I’d rather be able to boot up all my guests with less memory than not be able to boot them up at all. For SQL Server, I generally set my reservations at 75% of the guest memory – in this case, 24GB.
kubersk91
kubersk91
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Procedure

In the vSphere Client inventory, right-click the virtual machine and select Edit Settings.

Click the Hardware tab and select Memory.

Adjust the amount of memory allocated to the virtual machine.

Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.