Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Comparing datetime

Comparing datetime

Author
DaveDB
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Happy holidays!

Ok, I have a question that seems basic, but I am having major issues. I need to compare the following date/times. Basically I need to select from a table where the date range is between '12/15/2013' and '12/21/2013' and time is BETWEEN 5:00PM and 8:00AM. I cannot seem to get this working.

Here is what I have... INTERVALSTART is in the following format (datetime): '2013-12-15 18:30:00.000'.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SELECT sum(abncalls), INTERVALSTART
FROM oadb.hCMSSkill
WHERE INTERVALSTART >= '12/15/2013 17:00:00.000' AND INTERVALSTART <= '12/21/2013 08:00:00.000'
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

It would be helpful if you told us what issues you're experiencing.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
DaveDB
DaveDB
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)

Thanks for your response.

My issue is that I am not able to get the correct values. The date range values are fine, but the times are off. I shouldn't see any time between work hours (8:00AM - 5:00PM), but I am still seeing those times.

I hope this explains my issue.
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Your problem is that you have not restricted the times as you wanted to.

You're asking for values between 12/15/2013 17:00:00 and 12/21/2013 08:00:00 not between 12/15/2013 and 12/21/2013 only where the time is between 5:00PM and 8:00AM.

You need to add another condition to the where clause that only looks at the time portion of the date and restrict that to only times between 5:00PM and 8:00AM.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
DaveDB
DaveDB
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Alvin. I will try that. Happy New Year to you and thanks for your time :-)
Alvin Ramard
Alvin Ramard
SSCrazy

You're welcome and Happy New Year to you too.

Let us know if you have any more issues.

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.