SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Update Temp table where the column names are unknown

Update Temp table where the column names are unknown

Author
info-531323
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
In a stored procedure I dynamically create a temp table by selecting the name of Applications from a regular table. Then I add a date column and add the last 12 months. See attachment.

So far so good. Now I want to update the data in columns by querying another regular table. Normally it would be something like:

UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [columName] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,'MM/yyyy') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,'MM/yyyy'))

However, since I don't know what the name of the columns are at any given time, I need to do this dynamically.

So my question is, how can I get the column names of a Temp table dynamically while doing an Update?

Thanks!
Attachments
tempTable.jpg (12 views, 42.00 KB)
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

info-531323 (12/26/2013)
In a stored procedure I dynamically create a temp table by selecting the name of Applications from a regular table. Then I add a date column and add the last 12 months. See attachment.

So far so good. Now I want to update the data in columns by querying another regular table. Normally it would be something like:

UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [columName] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable

However, since I don't know what the name of the columns are at any given time, I need to do this dynamically.

So my question is, how can I get the column names of a Temp table dynamically while doing an Update?
Thanks!

the part that's missing is how you know the column gets updated;
i assume that somewhere in your RegularTable, there must be a reference to the application now represented as a column in the ##TempTable;
but your example doesn't show that;
i'd bet some dynamic SQL will fix it, where you get teh column name based on the data.

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(8000)
SELECT 'UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [' + ApplicationName +'] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,''MM/yyyy'') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,''MM/yyyy''))
AND ApplicationName = ' + ApplicationName +' '
PRINT @cmd
EXEC (@cmd)

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

This will lead to some pretty miserable performance on top of it all... it makes for a 100% non-SARGable query. You could have a thousand index on the columns involved and the absolute best you'll ever get is an INDEX SCAN.

I knew people would abuse the new FORMAT function as soon as I saw it. Sick

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
info-531323
info-531323
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

DECLARE @cmd VARCHAR(8000)
SELECT 'UPDATE ##TempTable
SET [' + ApplicationName +'] = (SELECT SUM(columName)
FROM RegularTable
WHERE FORMAT(RegularTable.Date,''MM/yyyy'') = FORMAT(##TempMonths.x,''MM/yyyy''))
AND ApplicationName = ' + ApplicationName +' '
PRINT @cmd
EXEC (@cmd)

Thanks! I got it to work using your code's syntax.
info-531323
info-531323
Forum Newbie

[quote]Jeff Moden (12/26/2013)
This will lead to some pretty miserable performance on top of it all... it makes for a 100% non-SARGable query. You could have a thousand index on the columns involved and the absolute best you'll ever get is an INDEX SCAN.

[quote]

'RegularTable' is updated once a month with a maximum of 10 new entries. That's 120 new lines a year, in twenty years it will have a total of 2,400 records. I don't think that even then performance will be an issue.

That being said, I agree its probably not the best way, so if you have a suggestion on how I should approach that part of the query, please show me an example.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.