SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Challenge of Time Off

The Challenge of Time Off

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Challenge of Time Off

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Tobar
Tobar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the reminder, and encouragement, that we are in control of our actions, reactions and choices. You have provided the right words at the right time.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Sound advice, but I'd like to add a related issue from the other side. I'm lucky that everyone in my team is highly motivated, but that has its challenges as well. In this context, I have several people who I regularly have to encourage to not keep working overtime, to stop work at a reasonable time, to switch off phones and email and enjoy a bit of private life. They all know they can take all their allotted time off (and, in fact, enjoy a lot of flexibility on top of that), but they still push themselves hard.

This doesn't make my life easier, of course, but I'll happily live with it given their work ethic is like gold dust. My point, though, is that making sure someone gets time to recharge their batteries is not an employee's problem; it's a shared problem.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
GA Programmer
GA Programmer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (163 reputation)

Very well said, Steve!
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

I don't know when the last time I've had two consecutive weeks off from work, except when I was between jobs or contracts. However, I still squeeze in about three weeks of vacation a year. When one of my deliverables has been deployed successfully to production, or if it's just stuck in QA, I'll request Friday and Monday off and make it a long weekend. I've still got the cell phone turned on, but it rarely rings when I'm on paid leave. When something needs my attention, I'll buckle down and stick with it until it's finished, but when things wind down, I expect my employer to loosen up when it comes to approving time off. I think most employers understand that's the way it is with good IT talent.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
prescientdba
prescientdba
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)

Well said Steve! I guess when all is said and done......I'd rather my family have fond memories of family vacations than remember I was never home and always at work.
Larry Aue
Larry Aue
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)SSC Veteran (297 reputation)

I'd worked for over 10 years before I took more than a week vacation. After 12 days of my 2 week vac, I literally felt stress leave my body. I stopped exhibiting stress habits and I slept better. I am fortunate to work at a company that lets me take a 17-day vacation and not skip a beat. Worth every penny.

A lot of parent's vac time gets nickled and dimed either because their kids are home from school or sick. 4-day weekend <> vacation.

tabinsc
tabinsc
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)

I'm rather fortunate to have a job where taking time off is not a problem, though it's only during the slow part of the year (late spring, summer, early autumn). In the busy months, there is no time off except for major emergencies, and that goes for all employees. But at least I can make plans around it.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
batgirl
batgirl
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Amen.

I have complained previously about being forced to take my time off at specific times but now I am on the verge of one of those "specific" times and about to enjoy the rest of the year off.

I'm getting on a plane and leaving it all behind at least for a good solid week.

My laptop will go along and there may be a call or two - but nothing so important that I need to be tethered to it the whole time.

Very happy holidays to the whole community - I am going to try my best to stay away for a while :-D
below86
below86
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

I've got the personality to be able to shut this place off as soon as I walk out the door, for the most part. I try and do this every day, not just when I take vacation.:-) I've been back a little over a week now from my 18 1/2 days off in a row.Cool I can honestly say I didn't think about work more than 6 times the whole time I was gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------
we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.