SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

AlwaysOn and Database Mirroring

AlwaysOn and Database Mirroring

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item AlwaysOn and Database Mirroring

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ford Fairlane
Ford Fairlane
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great question - thanks Steve

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
Rock and Roll Detective

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks Steve
Learned something new today.

steve.jacobs
steve.jacobs
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)

Steve, nice question. Took about a second to answer it because I set this environment up in development instances and will be promoting to production. I love clustered mirrors. :-D
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

That's something new to me too. I've heard and read that mirroring has been targeted for termination in a future release of SQL Server and that AlwaysOn is the favored flavor.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
steve.jacobs
steve.jacobs
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)Right there with Babe (760 reputation)

Ed Wagner (12/13/2013)
That's something new to me too. I've heard and read that mirroring has been targeted for termination in a future release of SQL Server and that AlwaysOn is the favored flavor.

Yes, it is true. "Database mirroring" will be a thing of the past for SQL Server 2012 and greater and AlwaysOn group is the preferred method. Cross database transactions can be of issue as well, even with an AlwaysOn, because they are not supported but there are always workarounds. I have had to do this in RAID (mirrored servers) Clustered environments for years.

Architecting the solution is always "fun." Cool
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

Nice question Steve. Thanks.
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Ed Wagner (12/13/2013)

+1
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

Great question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
kapfundestanley
kapfundestanley
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

A good question ,learned something.

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.