SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Hekaton

Hekaton

Author
Revenant
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You made this one really simple, Steve. Thanks for the question and for the point. :-)
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

OCTom (12/6/2013)
I did not see the answer I was looking for. Something along the lines of "Godzilla's new enemy in Godzilla vs. Hekaton".

Tom

How about "Teradata vs Hekaton"? This could probably spawn a fun Friday conversation on monster movies or sci-fi flicks with technology names.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

KWymore (12/6/2013)
OCTom (12/6/2013)
I did not see the answer I was looking for. Something along the lines of "Godzilla's new enemy in Godzilla vs. Hekaton".

Tom

How about "Teradata vs Hekaton"? This could probably spawn a fun Friday conversation on monster movies or sci-fi flicks with technology names.

Hekaton and the Battle of Hadoop

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Ed Wagner (12/6/2013)
While I'm anxious to try out in-memory OLTP, it leaves me with two questions.
1. How are the transaction logs stored? If they aren't written to disk, we'll lose durability, which would be a deal-breaker. While I'm sure they took this into account, I really hope it's solid and would like to learn more.
2. How much memory are we going to need to be able to run a 1TB database? Not all shops can afford to have 80 cores and 4TB of memory. This will be the most interesting part to me.

Thanks for the question, Steve. Maybe I'll start searching when I have some time to do research.

The answer to question 1 is that the transaction log is still used to ensure durability. But the log is used more efficiently than before. For starters, only changes to the base data are logged. (For standard tables, all changes to all pages are logged, so an update to a heavily indexed table produces log records for the data, and for all indexes; with Hekaton, only the base data changes are logged, because the indexes are not persisted anyway, they are reconstructed in-memory when the database loads). Also, the format of the log records for Hekaton tables is designed to be as efficient as possible. (Details can be found at http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/193594/Hekaton%20-%20Sigmod2013%20final.pdf - paragraph 7.1.

For question 2, the answer is "as much as you can afford". There is no need to store the whole database in-memory. Hekaton is designed to work just fine in an environment where the most "hot" tables are stored as "in-memory optimized" tables, and the rest of the data is stored in normal, disk-based tables. According to a demo of Hekaton I saw at the 2012 PASS Summit, Microsoft will even supply procedures to help you find which tables would benefit most from moving to Hekaton.
But obviously, more memory allows to put more tables in Hekaton, so more memory is always better. Nothing new, here - thaht's always been the case with SQL Server.
Oh and to answer your actual question - if you want to have the whole 1TB database in memory, then (asuming that 1TB is actual data size, not data + nonclustered indexes) you will need way more than 1TB of memory. When data changes, Hekaton creates new versions of the rows and does not immediately remove the old versions, so depending on how high your update rate is, the actual size may be much higher than the pure data size.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
pchirags
pchirags
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

KWymore (12/5/2013)
Thanks for the Hekaton question, Steve. I'm looking forward to trying this out eventually!

+1
pchirags
pchirags
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

simple and nice question steve..
Hany Helmy
Hany Helmy
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)

I remember this In-Memory OLTP (Hekaton) question was asked before in QoTd ;-)
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)SSC Guru (110K reputation)

Too easy :-D

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
sqlnaive
sqlnaive
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

The most talked feature of SQL 2014. :-)
jfgoude
jfgoude
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

good and nice easy question for ... Google !
+1

Thank's
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.