SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Delcare variable for Multiple values paramter in SP ???

Delcare variable for Multiple values paramter in SP ???

Author
jbalbo
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)SSChasing Mays (631 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi
i get an error when I show multiple values in the parameter
Do I declare the variable differently in the SP?

...@Code varchar(10)
,@Days varchar(10)
,@Begin VARCHAR(10)
, @End varchar(10)
, @Zip varchar(1000) Zip is the only parameter to accept multiple values..

the where clause is like....

where.....
AND dbo.Address.Zip in (@Zip)
PB_BI
PB_BI
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

What specific error do you get?

Forget that - have a look here

:-)

I'm on LinkedIn
Michael_Garrison
Michael_Garrison
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Yes, read this article. I had to do learn same thing regarding multi valued params and stored procs. Using the JOIN and then in the stored proc code, use a split string function when values are passed in. something like:

ld.ORIGINCITY IN (select * from [dbo].[fn_SplitStringList](@OriginCity)) Can search for a splitstring function in google, there are plenty of them.
Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Michael_Garrison (12/5/2013)
Yes, read this article. I had to do learn same thing regarding multi valued params and stored procs. Using the JOIN and then in the stored proc code, use a split string function when values are passed in. something like:

ld.ORIGINCITY IN (select * from [dbo].[fn_SplitStringList](@OriginCity)) Can search for a splitstring function in google, there are plenty of them.

And you can find the best (no-CLR) splitting function in here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/
Read the article and the comments for the best performance and test it yourself.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
Steven.Howes
Steven.Howes
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)SSC Eights! (890 reputation)

What's the error?

When you pass a multivalue parameter you have to do a
=join(Parameters!PraramName.Value,",")

I always forget this step, that and forgetting to make my receiving SP variable large enough to hold all the values.
wolfkillj
wolfkillj
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Steven.Howes (12/6/2013)
What's the error?

When you pass a multivalue parameter you have to do a
=join(Parameters!PraramName.Value,",")

I always forget this step, that and forgetting to make my receiving SP variable large enough to hold all the values.

Wasn't this a new feature with SSRS 2008? IIRC, there was no other way to do this than splitting the string in the stored procedure with SSRS 2005, so if the OP is still using 2005, he'll have to go that route.

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.