SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database restoring,,,,, since 20 hrs

Database restoring,,,,, since 20 hrs

Author
KcV
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

i have 25 GB database backup file. I just restored it with a different database name. after starting restoring process it took hardly 20-30 minutes to complete the process successfully.

but even after 20 hrs, sql server management studio shows :

Database
abc
def (Restoring ...)

why this 'restoring... ' is been showing even after complition of restore process. ?
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

What was the exact restore command/options that you used?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)

KcV (11/30/2013)
Hi,

i have 25 GB database backup file. I just restored it with a different database name. after starting restoring process it took hardly 20-30 minutes to complete the process successfully.

but even after 20 hrs, sql server management studio shows :

Database
abc
def (Restoring ...)

why this 'restoring... ' is been showing even after complition of restore process. ?

Did you try right clicking on it and selecting "Refresh"? The Explorer window is rather famous for not automatically updating.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Did you restore with "NORECOVERY" ?

That would show it "restoring" as it leaves it in a condition for you to restore additional Differentials or transaction logs.

If you do not have additional Diff or T-Logs to restore and want to use the database as it is, then run:

restore database MyDatabase with recovery

KcV
KcV
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

HI here my restore process.

- I just selected 'Restore Database' from 'database' from MSSMS.

- then i entered name of new database and defined a path to save location.
(Yes, Original database name is different from which i have defined due to i want a copy of same database with different name)

- Selected 'From Device'
- specified a backup file
- start restore. nothing else.

(i checked today morning, its still in same state)
KcV
KcV
SSC-Enthusiastic

Yes, i tried 'Refresh'. nothing happened.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Are you absolutely sure that you didn't check the option to allow more log backups to be restored?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Attachments
RestoreNoRecovery.png (144 views, 10.00 KB)
PravB4u
PravB4u
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)

Hi,
If you got disconnected before your database fully recovers from restoring then it stays in Recovering mode forever, this had happens with me once when i was restoring database over the network and network got disconnected.

Praveen D'sa
MCITP - Database Administrator 2008
http://sqlerrors.wordpress.com
KcV
KcV
SSC-Enthusiastic

yes, i think (99%) didn't checked this option.
KcV
KcV
SSC-Enthusiastic

Dear PravB4u,

i was not disconnected from database before completing restore process.
As i mentioned in my first post there was a message saying 'process is completed successfully'.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.