SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Linked Server

Linked Server

Author
kapil.kadaparthi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi When i am trying to edit my linked server it encountered with below error message.Do i need to Drop the existing linked server and recreate it to change the data source or is there another way

"Msg 15028, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_addlinkedserver, Line 82
The server '********' already exists."

A bit urgent can any one respond to the post
lsalih
lsalih
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

The way I would go about it is by generating create script of the linked server in a new window, modify the script to include the modification you need, delete the linked server and run the script. That is how I have made changes to my linked server definition to change server name, not sure what you are trying to modify.

Lempster
Lempster
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

lsalih (6/3/2014)
The way I would go about it is by generating create script of the linked server in a new window, modify the script to include the modification you need, delete the linked server and run the script. That is how I have made changes to my linked server definition to change server name, not sure what you are trying to modify.

Bear in mind that when you script out a linked server definition, any passwords are replaced by ########### so you'll have to ually add them back in to the script before executing it.

Regards
Lempster
lsalih
lsalih
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

Hi Lempster -

Last time I created a linked server from generated script, I did not have to reenter password. I used SQL 2008.

Lempster
Lempster
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.1K reputation)

Well, if you are using either a local login mapped to a remote login or have the 'be made using this security context' radio button checked, the password(s) will be replaced with ####### and you'll need to edit your script. Here's an example:

EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'10.5.13.250', @srvproduct=N'10.2.13.250', @provider=N'MSDASQL', @datasrc=N'10.5.13.250'
/* For security reasons the linked server remote logins password is changed with ######## */
EXEC master.dbo.sp_addlinkedsrvlogin @rmtsrvname=N'10.5.13.250',@useself=N'False',@locallogin=NULL,@rmtuser=N'rmtuserl',@rmtpassword='########'

Regards
Lempster
lsalih
lsalih
UDP Broadcaster

Lempster -

Thank you for the info, I will keep this in mind. I do not recall what security options I had setup when I recreated the linked server.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.