Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Performance of the SQL MERGE vs. INSERT/UPDATE

Performance of the SQL MERGE vs. INSERT/UPDATE

Author
dwain.c
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Performance of the SQL MERGE vs. INSERT/UPDATE

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
My temporal SQL musings: Calendar Tables, an Easter SQL, Time Slots and Self-maintaining, Contiguous Effective Dates in Temporal Tables
guy.stephens
guy.stephens
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Much as we love the Merge statement in my workplace, we seem to be running into deadlocking problems that we haven't had when using the UPDATE/INSERT .. LEFT JOIN approach.

We haven't investigated too deeply but are tending back to UPDATE/INSERT on large datasets. Would be glad to hear from anyone else who has experienced this.
dwain.c
dwain.c
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

guy.stephens (10/27/2013)
Much as we love the Merge statement in my workplace, we seem to be running into deadlocking problems that we haven't had when using the UPDATE/INSERT .. LEFT JOIN approach.

We haven't investigated too deeply but are tending back to UPDATE/INSERT on large datasets. Would be glad to hear from anyone else who has experienced this.

I personally have not experienced this issue, however with a 28% performance hit it wouldn't surprise me.

I would say that if you are really expecting to INSERT/UPDATE 100s of 1000s of rows, it might be a good idea to stick to the traditional.

I guess the key words here are "it depends."

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
My temporal SQL musings: Calendar Tables, an Easter SQL, Time Slots and Self-maintaining, Contiguous Effective Dates in Temporal Tables
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Thanks for the concise article Dwain - an interesting read as usual.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
twin.devil
twin.devil
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

dwain.c (10/27/2013)
guy.stephens (10/27/2013)

I personally have not experienced this issue, however with a 28% performance hit it wouldn't surprise me.

I would say that if you are really expecting to INSERT/UPDATE 100s of 1000s of rows, it might be a good idea to stick to the traditional.

I guess the key words here are "it depends."

+1

As for the article it is a nice one and good for someone to understand the working of MERGE statement, and especially for the decide whether to with MERGE or Not.
adnan.korkmaz
adnan.korkmaz
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Nice comparison.

On the other hand, it could be better to see physical table performance comparison instead of / in addition to temporary tables.
andrew.fenna
andrew.fenna
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

Morning all,

I think the way that the MERGE source table has been written would definitely under perform compared to the upsert.

e.g.

-- MERGE
MERGE #Target t
USING #Source s
ON s.ID = t.ID
WHEN MATCHED
THEN UPDATE
SET Value = s.Value
WHEN NOT MATCHED
THEN INSERT
( ID, Value )
VALUES
( s.ID
, s.Value
);

This can be wrote as:-

-- MERGE
MERGE #Target t
USING (@ID, @Value
) s (ID, Value)
ON s.ID = t.ID
WHEN MATCHED
THEN UPDATE
SET Value = s.Value
WHEN NOT MATCHED
THEN INSERT
( ID, Value )
VALUES
( s.ID
, s.Value
);

This would out perform any UPSERT as you are basically creating the source table in-memory which will not touch disks, thus the comparison is done in memory.

you just need to work out how to get the @id and @value variables set.

Thanks

Andrew
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

I think the testing done here test situations that actually aren't very helpful/useful. If you know you want to do JUST one of the other then do just what you need to do - right tool for the job and all that.

What you REALLY need to test is the classic UPSERT condition - where you want to update a row by a key if the key already exists and insert the row if the key does NOT exist. There are a number of ways to accomplish this in TSQL and it would be best to test each (although honestly the optimal way changes with the percentage of existing rows that are to be updated). If you do this testing, make sure you build code that is isolated from concurrency issues, which most do not do.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
andrew.fenna
andrew.fenna
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

.... also in the merge you could have a condition not to update if the value is the same:-

-- MERGE
MERGE #Target t
USING (@ID, @VALUE)
) s (ID, Value)
ON s.ID = t.ID
WHEN MATCHED AND (s.Value <> t.Value)
THEN UPDATE
SET Value = s.Value
WHEN NOT MATCHED
THEN INSERT
( ID, Value )
VALUES
( s.ID
, s.Value
);
Mark Cowne
Mark Cowne
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Interesting article!

Paul White posted some useful information about MERGE performance

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1466528.aspx

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.