Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Flat file extraction error

Flat file extraction error

Author
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am using ssis 2008 and trying to extract data from a tab delimited file

In the file above, I am getting an error where Counter=1494059

I am using a derived column transformation and it has a formula '(DT_DBTIMESTAMP)Date'

Due to that I am getting following errors:

[Derived Column 1 [295]] Error: An error occurred while attempting to perform a type cast.
[Derived Column 1 [295]] Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_INDUCEDTRANSFORMFAILUREONERROR. The "component "Derived Column 1" (295)" failed because error code 0xC0049064 occurred, and the error row disposition on "input column "Date" (297)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

I tried to redirect erranous rows..but it is also not working

Can anyone pls help to sort this one out..

p.s. all the previous files were processed successfully, we are getting errors with this one file only..though it has identical structure and encoding
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Rather than looking at the source data in Excel, can you please open it in Notepad++ or similar and then have a close look at the offending data?

From your screen shot, everything looks fine. But Excel has a tendency to mask problems.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
rockstar283
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (130 reputation)

Now instead of Date and time conversion..I tried following:

SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date]))) - 3,LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])))) + "-" + SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),1,FINDSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),"/",1) - 1) + "-" + SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),FINDSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),"/",1) + 1,2)+" 00:00:00.000"
STILL NOT WORKING Sad

I get the error 'An error occurred while evaluating the function. '

rockstar283
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic

Now instead of Date and time conversion..I tried following:

SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date]))) - 3,LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])))) + "-" + SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),1,FINDSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),"/",1) - 1) + "-" + SUBSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),FINDSTRING(LTRIM(RTRIM([Date])),"/",1) + 1,2)+" 00:00:00.000"

STILL NOT WORKING Sad
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

How are you so sure it fails on that specific line?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
rockstar283
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic

I checked it in the Data Viewer
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

rockstar283 (10/22/2013)
I checked it in the Data Viewer

I thought you said redirecting error rows didn't work?

rockstar283
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic

Yes, so there are no rows getting redirected on error output i.e. RED pipeline..and also the data viewer on Green pipeline is telling me where the error is
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach

rockstar283 (10/22/2013)
and also the data viewer on Green pipeline is telling me where the error is

And why is that, if I may ask?

rockstar283
rockstar283
SSC-Enthusiastic

Data viewer on the Green pipeline is showing me all the records before that particular erroneous record
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.