Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Profiler

Profiler

Author
cdl_9009
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This may not fit this category.

Does anybody know how to create a template in SQL Profiler 2008r2 that would allow you to use that on a 2012 server?

I Profiler can trace what I am doing in the software which is on 2012 but I won't let me save my template to use it again. I have to continually change the settings.
jonysuise
jonysuise
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)

Hi cdl_9009, welcome to the forum :-D

I don't know if i did understand your question but you can create templates within sql server profiler this way :

Click File > Templates > New Template

Hope it helps.Cool

Jonathan Bernardez Bernardez
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Correct,

I was creating my template that way but when tried to tie it to my SQL2012 database, it wouldn't save the template for me to use it when I got in the next time. I always have to manually set it up.

I am thinking maybe I can't save it because I don't have SQL2012 client utilities on my machine. I only have the 2008r2 but I can use 2008r2 to access 2012 database and query it.
jonysuise
jonysuise
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)

Not related, but with sql server 2012 you have now Extended events, pretty similar to SQL Server profiler but with better performances and scalability. Check it out ! :-D

Jonathan Bernardez Bernardez
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (167 reputation)

If you are using the GUI for Profiler Trace (Taking a guess, but I believe you are)

Have you considered scripting from your template out with appropriate options to run a server side trace? Additionally a server side trace is less resource intensive that client side. Be sure to filter as many things out as possible to make trace more specific.

--------------------------------------------------
...0.05 points per day since registration... slowly crawl up to 1 pt per day hopefully :-D
kevaburg
kevaburg
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (563 reputation)

cdl_9009 (10/18/2013)
This may not fit this category.

Does anybody know how to create a template in SQL Profiler 2008r2 that would allow you to use that on a 2012 server?

I Profiler can trace what I am doing in the software which is on 2012 but I won't let me save my template to use it again. I have to continually change the settings.

Create a profiler trace on the 2008R2 machine. Export the trace as a TSQL script and run that script on the 2012 server. You shouldn't have any problems.

In essence you would be creating a server-side trace and using it on another server.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.