SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Grow Your Family

Grow Your Family

Author
Gary Varga
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I work freelance, often outside of any major city here in the UK, so I find it difficult to attend during the week. During the weekend I have other commitments (family & hockey mainly). Whilst I would like to see more people face-to-face, I do find that those of us who only have an online presence in the community are made as welcome as those who meet face-to-face. Obviously, when you meet people in person there is an opportunity of a more of a intimate bonding, however, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be completely absent otherwise...and for that I thank you all.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
fificito
fificito
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

Yes!!! Of course I want to network... The thing is, there are hardly any events in Mexico City... Are you willing to organize them?
Anders Pedersen
Anders Pedersen
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even realize this was going on Monday or I would have joined! =(

Although I don't have much problem walking up to just about anyone and start a conversation =)
aleksr
aleksr
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

I'm not much of a networker. I should work on that. But I've gotta say that since I started developing in SQL a few years ago, I have found this community to be extremely generous with their time and knowledge. With almost every question I've had, I've been able to find where users have already freely shared about the topic. It's a most impressive community!
hakim.ali
hakim.ali
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

I only discovered #sqlfamily (the hashtag, and the virtual family) last year, but I'm glad I did, and love being part of the group. I am presenting for the first time at an upcoming SQL Saturday, and am looking forward to making lots of new friends and acquaintances.

Hakim Ali
www.sqlzen.com
tabinsc
tabinsc
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)SSC Eights! (960 reputation)

This year I made it a priority to get to a few conferences (SQL in the City, SQL Saturday, CodeStock), and they were all beneficial. Plus I enjoyed the time I spent meeting new people. Sometimes I learn new things, and sometimes I find that i'm already doing something right (or as best as can be done). I hope I can make it back to some of these next year.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Beatrix Kiddo (10/18/2013)
John Mitchell-245523 (10/18/2013)
Beatrix, where are you based? There should be a user group near you. There only about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment unless you decide to get more involved.

John

I'm in London. Thanks for that; I think I signed up for one of those yesterday. I signed up for a few! It's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure the first time is the hardest. You all seem to get a lot out of it.

It is intimidating, but most of us are just regular people. Just excuse yourself, say hi and tell someone your name. Tell them it's your first time and they'll take care of you.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Gary Varga (10/18/2013)
I work freelance, often outside of any major city here in the UK, so I find it difficult to attend during the week. During the weekend I have other commitments (family & hockey mainly). Whilst I would like to see more people face-to-face, I do find that those of us who only have an online presence in the community are made as welcome as those who meet face-to-face. Obviously, when you meet people in person there is an opportunity of a more of a intimate bonding, however, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be completely absent otherwise...and for that I thank you all.

It's definitely nice to touch people online.

I get busy as well, and rarely attend the groups out here, but I make an effort once or twice a year to take time out of my schedule.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

fificito (10/18/2013)
Yes!!! Of course I want to network... The thing is, there are hardly any events in Mexico City... Are you willing to organize them?

Why don't you organize one? It's costly and not efficient for someone outside of the area to do it. However, I'm sure there's an MS office in Mexico City. There's been a SQL Saturday there. It doesn't take that much to organize a meeting or even an event.

Beatrix Kiddo
Beatrix Kiddo
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.9K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/18/2013)
Beatrix Kiddo (10/18/2013)
John Mitchell-245523 (10/18/2013)
Beatrix, where are you based? There should be a user group near you. There only about once a month, so it's not much of a time commitment unless you decide to get more involved.

John

I'm in London. Thanks for that; I think I signed up for one of those yesterday. I signed up for a few! It's a bit intimidating, but I'm sure the first time is the hardest. You all seem to get a lot out of it.

It is intimidating, but most of us are just regular people. Just excuse yourself, say hi and tell someone your name. Tell them it's your first time and they'll take care of you.

I'm going to do it. I'm also going to check back that Nick H and BWFC go to theirs ;-).
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.