SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Accidental DBA - Where to Start? (General Question)

Accidental DBA - Where to Start? (General Question)

Author
defyant_2004
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (103 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,

I will be taking over the role of a SQL Server DBA for my company. Our SQL Servers have always been maintained by our Server Admins. I will be going to training in about a week. I would like any suggestions on what I should begin looking at when I come back from training. I am familair with SQL Server Versions 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 from a developers viewpoint. The DBA role will be new to me. What would be some of the first issues I should address as I take over the responsibility of these databases?

Thanks!
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Here is a great place to start.

http://www.red-gate.com/community/books/accidental-dba

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

defyant_2004 (9/18/2013)
Hello,

I will be taking over the role of a SQL Server DBA for my company. Our SQL Servers have always been maintained by our Server Admins. I will be going to training in about a week. I would like any suggestions on what I should begin looking at when I come back from training. I am familair with SQL Server Versions 2005, 2008, and 2008 R2 from a developers viewpoint. The DBA role will be new to me. What would be some of the first issues I should address as I take over the responsibility of these databases?

Thanks!

First let me say ... something that I would make sure my training course covered and covered well, and that is "database backups and restores". Including frequency of backups and restores to a point in time.

For without the data user queries can run fast or slow it matters not.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)

defyant_2004 (9/18/2013)
What would be some of the first issues I should address as I take over the responsibility of these databases?

Backups. Integrity Checks. Backups. Restores. Backups. Backups. Backups.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)SSC Guru (213K reputation)

And just in case, backups. :-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Erland Sommarskog
Erland Sommarskog
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

And to add to Jeff's and Gail's posts: restores. A lot of people take backups. Not everyone restore their backups, or understand how they should do in a disaster scenarios.

There are two important reasons why you regularly should restore your backups (in environment different from production):

1) To make sure that you are familiar with the procedure.
2) The backups are actually good and valid.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
lshanahan
lshanahan
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Did someone mention backups and restores?

Having just finished restoring a blown server which housed our SQL Server instance Crazy, I'll put the exclamation point on backups/restores.

To wit -------> !

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

If you have available hardware/VM resourses, do one of your practice restores to a non production server just you yourself use and go wild on it. I find my best learning occurs when I've screwed something up and have to fix it, but I suggest doing that on an environment no one else relies on :-P
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.