Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Job Worries over Automation

Job Worries over Automation

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Job Worries over Automation

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
bspring
bspring
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I think the 90% reduction is in the number of people who have SysAdmin access. Not in the number of actual workers. I'm sure there are people there who have the SysAdmin access that probably don't need it and shouldn't have it. I would expect an org. like the NSA to do periodic checks of users "need to know" and amend permissions accordingly.
I work in IT at an USAF airbase and we are NOT allowed to connect anything to the USB ports except specific pieces of government HD's and floppies. Yes floppy drives. I heard in a new report on NPR that the NSA had no such restriction. But now they are considering it.
Robert.Sterbal
Robert.Sterbal
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)SSC Veteran (265 reputation)

I think this story will give context to the cut back in SysAdmins: http://www.npr.org/2013/09/18/223523622/officials-edward-snowdens-leaks-were-masked-by-job-duties
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

In the wake of Edward Snowden, the NSA is obviously going to shake up things internally. I'm surpised they would outsource administrative positions to contractors. Quite frankly, that was a stupid decision for an agency responsible for sage guarding the nation's security intelligence. In terms of historic screw ups, I'd rank the NSA leak right up there with the Navy's decision back in 1941 to park their entire Pacific fleet in Peal Harbor. Outsource your web developers and janitors, but keep the system administrator teams small, well compensated, and on a short leash.

But the federal government is a different IT universe. What happens there doesn't necessarily indicate what's trending in corporate America or even local government IT departments.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
rjkendall
rjkendall
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

The point of automation is not to remove employees, but to free up employees to do other work and earn more revenue for the company. In the case of a governmental organization that would translate to having more employees available to do other tasks that can't be automated or require a human to make decisions and control. The term I learned while studying robotics was 'displacement' of workers and it really is true to what I have seen during my 20+ year career in IT. There is always ebb and flow but ultimately more workers are always needed because more tasks are always waiting for a human to perform.
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

And SQL Server 7.0 is self-tuning and eliminates the need for a DBA...

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt, the tattoo, the brand, the piercing, the secret handshake and the decoder ring.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

Some news reports describe that Edward Snowden as a SharePoint administrator whose job was to post classified documents and move them around into protected folders. That is something that could be automated with less hands-on human involvement.

Also, there are encryption options that allow admins to manage documents and databases while still not having access to encryption key and reading the data.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
robert.bingham
robert.bingham
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

@Grant - reminds me of company management that still sings the song "If we just buy this off the shelf product, we won't need a development staff." Uh, yeah right. Never mind all of the customizations that management also wants.
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

I was told 25 years ago to go into another line of work because changes in technology would make programmers obsolete.
Hehe
huckleseed
huckleseed
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

bspring (9/18/2013)
I think the 90% reduction is in the number of people who have SysAdmin access. Not in the number of actual workers. I'm sure there are people there who have the SysAdmin access that probably don't need it and shouldn't have it. I would expect an org. like the NSA to do periodic checks of users "need to know" and amend permissions accordingly.
I work in IT at an USAF airbase and we are NOT allowed to connect anything to the USB ports except specific pieces of government HD's and floppies. Yes floppy drives. I heard in a new report on NPR that the NSA had no such restriction. But now they are considering it.

That was my first take on it as well.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.