SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating Database: Error Message.

Creating Database: Error Message.

Author
todd.ayers
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
 CREATE DATABASE ApressFinancial ON PRIMARY
( NAME = N'ApressFinancial',
FILENAME = N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\ApressFinancial.mdf' , Size = 3072KB, Maxsize = Unlimited, FILEGROWTH = 1024KB )
LOG ON
(Name = N'ApressFinancial_log',
FileName= N' C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\ApressFinancial_log.ldf', Size = 1024KB, Maxsize = 2048GB, FILEGROWTH = 10%)
Collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
go

Getting an error message that says:

Msg 5133, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Directory lookup for the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\ApressFinancial.mdf" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
Msg 1802, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.
todd.ayers
todd.ayers
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

I have admin rights and I have verified and re-verified the file path is correct but still dont understand why I would get this error.
David Webb-CDS
David Webb-CDS
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

The create database is run in the context of the account under which the sql sever is running. Check the permissions for that account, not your account.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
David Webb
todd.ayers
todd.ayers
SSC-Enthusiastic

OK... for some reason I am drawing a complete blank.... How do I check the permissions for the account that is running the instance of SQL Server?
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

todd.ayers (9/12/2013)
I have admin rights and I have verified and re-verified the file path is correct but still dont understand why I would get this error.

Are you sure??? That is VERY close to the default but not quite...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA

Notice the "_50"

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
todd.ayers
todd.ayers
SSC-Enthusiastic

Yeah... I'm pretty sure.... As a matter of fact this example database that I am creating comes from a book I am going through (Beginning SQL Server 2008 for Developers: From Novice to Professional)

Now I can right click on the Databases container in the Object Explorer and create a new Database that way with no issues. but using the Query Editor will not work for me...
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

todd.ayers (9/12/2013)
Yeah... I'm pretty sure.... As a matter of fact this example database that I am creating comes from a book I am going through (Beginning SQL Server 2008 for Developers: From Novice to Professional)

Now I can right click on the Databases container in the Object Explorer and create a new Database that way with no issues. but using the Query Editor will not work for me...

If you can create a new database in the gui but not in a query window then it pretty much has to be the path. Try copying that path to the clipboard and pasting it into a windows explorer title bar.

Or run this query.

select * from sys.database_files

Copy the path from physical_name and paste it into your query. My money is that you have a typo. This isn't a permissions issue. The error message expressly states that it can't find the path.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

todd.ayers
todd.ayers
SSC-Enthusiastic

I finally got it to work... thx for all your help guys...
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
One Orange Chip

todd.ayers (9/12/2013)
I finally got it to work... thx for all your help guys...

Glad you got it to work. What was the issue? There may be others who come along this thread in the future and it would be great if you can post what worked for you.

AndrewSQLDBA
AndrewSQLDBA
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

That is one reason that I never use that Directory. I always use a directory on different drives.

Like "SQL 2008 Databases\[DatabaseName]"

I have never liked that directory of Program Files. I never even use it when I install software.

Andrew SQLDBA
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.