SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stunned

Stunned

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stunned

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Tony Parfitt-465405
Tony Parfitt-465405
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hard to believe this still happens... I've not personally come across it in recent memory other than 3rd hand accounts. Is this just an outlier or is it more common than we think?
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

I have to wonder what this mystery person thinks a woman who is attending a technical event would choose to talk about--knitting, perhaps? The right shade of red for the curtains? I'm honestly gobsmacked that such an attitude still exists.
cgreen-568768
cgreen-568768
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)

But I know about embroidery and kittens - why can't I talk about databases?

Reminds me of the time someone drove a not inconsidereable distance here to have an interview with his prospective boss (a lady) during which he said that he considered women to be a distraction in the workplace. How to fail an interview in one simple step!
tilew-948340
tilew-948340
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)

I have seen very good male nurse and very good female boss. Good and smart people do not depend on the sex, the color of the skin, the language, the religion, the clothes, or anything. You can find bad and worst people everywhere: in your neighbourghood, even in your own family... It all depends on your DNA and the way you have been raised. Guess what would have become of you if you had been switch, while you were a baby at the hospital, to a family that abuse and brainwash their child instead of being properly raised...
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

I know which woman the editorial is talking about, and the sad/stunning part is she probably knows SQL Server 100 times better than the UG leader.

As the old Belgian song by the group the Evil Superstars goes:
"It's a sad sad planet."

(video for the fans)

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
RandomEvent
RandomEvent
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)

Agree with Koen totally very sad state of affairs, and why can't men be good at deciding on the right shade of red for the curtains...

Hmmmm note to self possible niche market for male interior designers.
David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)

First, what the <insert your own expression here>?

My expression would be "Kalen Delaney".

Ada Lovelace - possibly the first ever computer programmer.
Grace Hopper "the mother of Cobol"
Frances Allen - Won a Turing award. Not exactly small beer.

My wife's aunt was the highest ranking female officer in the Royal Navy during WWII. She was shipped all over the world installing, configuring RADAR plus training people to do the same. This is a women who at the age of 92 demonstrated to a TV repair man that the "broken" TV could be fixed by replacing a specific chip and soldering a loose connection!

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
sqlnaive
sqlnaive
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

This is real sad thing to read such unprofessional statement in such a brilliant forum. This was the first bad thing I read on this forum. Hopefully it should be the last.
alex.d.garland
alex.d.garland
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)SSC-Addicted (493 reputation)

David.Poole (8/28/2013) My expression would be "Kalen Delaney".

I was about to say pretty much exactly the same thing. Having seen her speak at this year's SQLBits, I can definitely attest to her being one of the best technical presenters out there, and an excellent counter-example to the kind of idiocy Steve mentions in his article.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.