Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 


SQL 2005 - Crashes when memory is increased


SQL 2005 - Crashes when memory is increased

Author
Message
InvisibleCat
InvisibleCat
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 62 Visits: 606
Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me with this, strange one and I've not come across it before.

We have a server (Windows 2003 R2 SP 2 32 bit) that has 8GB of memory in it, SQL has 5.5GB allocated to it and SSIS processing takes about 1.6GB at it's peak (only runs overnight). We started to see high memory usage so we decided to increase the overall memory to 12GB. It's virtual so we did this and it all worked fine throughout the day, small SSIS packages ran without any issues, SQL had 8GB allocated to it and allowing for the 1.6 of SSIS usage that still leaves 2.4GB for the OS and other programs.

However, our overnight load (SSIS package) then kicked in during the small hours and the whole server became unresponsive, no connectivity either via SSMS or remote desktop. The overnight runs an SSIS package and it just appears to have hung completely after running the first couple of steps. The services remained up (confirmed via Powershell) but nothing happened at all, no activity from the package and no connectivity, as soon as we could we rebooted the machine and rolled back the memory to 8GB and set SQL back to 5.5GB etc, restarting the job and it then completes as usual.

It's bizarre that the package doesn't seem to be able to work with a machine with 12GB, I've never seen anything like it.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Or even has any idea where I could look. Interestingly the event log does make reference to;

"Process 51:0:0 (0x148c) Worker 0x78C600E8 appears to be non-yielding on Scheduler 2. Thread creation time: 13021063245072. Approx Thread CPU Used: kernel 31 ms, user 0 ms. Process Utilization 0%%. System Idle 99%%. Interval: 89018 ms."

I did find this possible cause - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922658 but our server is SP2 so I don't think this is applicable.

I also found this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949595 - although the timings don't match up on the stack dump to when the issues occurred - either way we need to get patched up.

Thanks in advance,

Nic

P.S - The instance is running SQL 2005 SP2 (I know it should be on SP4 and I'm working on that).
Go


Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.
You can't delete your own posts.
You can't delete other posts.
You can't post events.
You can't edit your own events.
You can't edit other events.
You can't delete your own events.
You can't delete other events.
You can't send private messages.
You can't send emails.
You can read topics.
You can't vote in polls.
You can't upload attachments.
You can download attachments.
You can't post HTML code.
You can't edit HTML code.
You can't post IFCode.
You can't post JavaScript.
You can post emoticons.
You can't post or upload images.

Select a forum

































































































































































SQLServerCentral


Search