SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Growing Your SQL Server Skills without Breaking the Bank

Growing Your SQL Server Skills without Breaking the Bank

Author
Mike Hillwig
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Growing Your SQL Server Skills without Breaking the Bank
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)SSC Guru (125K reputation)

Great overview. I'll refer to this post every time someone asks for free training :-D

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Cadavre
Cadavre
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

In the UK, there's also SQLBits. Again, not cheap (although there is a free day), but excellent. And they do upload videos of the talks (eventually :-P)

Forever trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

Craig Wilkinson - Software Engineer
LinkedIn
thierry.vandurme
thierry.vandurme
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Very true, Paul, Kimberly, Brent... plain rock.
But at times I don't even start my browser. I open up the locally installed BOL and just grab a topic or two.
KenpoDBA
KenpoDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

This is Sean from MidnightDBA and what you said wasn't exactly accurate.
Sure, we have a weekly webshow that starts at 11pm CST on fri, but we've also got hundreds of recorded training that's completely free. You can download it at any time and pass it around to all of your friends. Even the shows themselves are recorded and you can download them and watch at your leisure.

So while we'd love for anyone to come join us for the live show, if you really can't make it, then come download us. We're about to start season 5 here in the next couple weeks. You can follow @MidnightDBA and get the official date when we land on it.

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.com
Blog Author of:
DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

Rodan
Rodan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (110 reputation)

I also enjoy the content here - at least several times a week some good info that I use - http://blog.sqlauthority.com/

CGSJohnson
CGSJohnson
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Another good resource is Simple Talk (www.simple-talk.com).

Another event is SQL in the City.
piotrka
piotrka
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Will share this article with others at the office.
lshanahan
lshanahan
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

I'll add one that's so obvious it's easy to miss:

PLAY

Speaking as one who is living proof you can learn and improve SQL Server skills on the cheap, one of my greatest assets in addition to the excellent resources in the article is having my own SQL Server sandbox. I have a Developer Edition on my desktop at work that I can try out all kinds of things, including the Things-You-Should-Never-EVER-Try-On-A-Live-System. Most PCs these days are powerful enough to run it, and you can pick up a copy of SQL Server Developer 2012 for under $50 (no, that isn't a typo) at Amazon. Granted you're not going to be able to play with the entire gamut of SQL Server (mainly thinking of enterprise-wide architectures and the skills needed for those scenarios), but there's certainly enough to keep you entertained and learning. I can learn a great deal from reading and listening, but until I throw it on the hardware and say, "What happens when I do THIS?" does it really stick in my head.

SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

For some more advanced topics:

sqlcat.com

and

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/linchi_shea/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.