Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL doesn't see .bak file?

SQL doesn't see .bak file?

Author
k1ngB
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'll try that. It'll take probably 30 min. to copy over.
k1ngB
k1ngB
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

Still nothing Sad
k1ngB
k1ngB
Grasshopper

I think I figured it out. When I right click on the database I want to restore over, select tasks - restore, SQL is unable to find the .bak file. However, when I right click on 'Databases', select 'restore database...", select the database name, then try to locate the file, it sees it!!!
JJR333
JJR333
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

I am having the same issue.
Some .bak files are not visible to Restore/Select file. (2008 R2)
Pasting the path and file name works though.
valentinb
valentinb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi,
I had the same problem and it solved by moving the backup file to the SQL default backup location. This folder didn't have permission and got it when I accessed it for the first time.
Hope it will work for you as well.
Regards.
msspurlock
msspurlock
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

The dumbness isn't in the question, but in Microsoft's permissions design.
satnam.singh 44358
satnam.singh 44358
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

Sometimes it happens that when you select a particular Backup File to Restore, you need to Select File Type as All Files in the Drop Down. I hope that works well.

With Thanks,
Satnam
MMartin1
MMartin1
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Under SSMS> Server Objects, >
there is a Backup Devices folder. Here you can easily create a .bak file and easily find it later as well through here. You can point the backup device to another directory if you wish.

Initially this just creates a pointer. Then when you actually do a backup you point to this device instead of using the file system. Always test restores as well, just something to remember.

----------------------------------------------------
How to post forum questions to get the best help
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.