SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Data Philanthropy

Data Philanthropy

Author
Andrew-H
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What data could possibly spark government efficiency. Governments are not efficient, they never will be and I argue that they never should. Think about some policy change conceived in a far removed office. I for one, want that change to stay in a proposed state for a long time so more people can debate it and if it has merit let it pass. Conversely, a government that pushes change quickly before citizens have a chance to comprehend it and voice their concerns is simply a bully state. Don't confuse that with efficiency.
karl 70050
karl 70050
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

There actually is also Open Data that is not collected by government but by a community (for example Gutenberg Project or OpenStreetMap). Now one question is, it there is data that could be opened up like this too which is usable by others.
t_a_dunn
t_a_dunn
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Promises of transparency by companies are not tenable when the federal government will sometimes not allow these companies to report when the data is requested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/12/microsoft-twitter-rivals-nsa-requests

We don't have to worry that someday this will be a civil rights issue. It is a civil rights issue right now.

I'll go on being charitable with my time, money and talents. But don't quietly gather information about me and then say I'm being charitible. That is like thanking the person you mugged for being charitable.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Obviously this concept of data philanthropy, sharing corporate data with the world for the good of hunamkind, should be left up executive management. Please run it past your boss first.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Rafael A. Colón
Rafael A. Colón
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)

Hi Steve:

I certainily like this idea however it also concerns me that data is a double edge blade it can be use for good or bad purposes depending on who have it. Im not sure if the general public is ready to ride on this concept specially with the Snowden controversy happening right now. How the data will be handled and used is the imporant item in this proposal.
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

The best service that data professionals can do for the benefit of mankind is to keep the database locked down and secure.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
PHYData DBA
PHYData DBA
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)SSC Eights! (923 reputation)

Rafael A. Colón (7/17/2013)
Hi Steve:

I certainily like this idea however it also concerns me that data is a double edge blade it can be use for good or bad purposes depending on who have it. Im not sure if the general public is ready to ride on this concept specially with the Snowden controversy happening right now. How the data will be handled and used is the imporant item in this proposal.

Great point Rafael!
Makes me wonder if "News of the World" will write any articles on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_International_phone_hacking_scandal
Unsure
In one corner of the world what is a crime punishable in several courts can in another be Freedom of Speech or National Security.
djackson 22568
djackson 22568
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

As Karl said, are you referring to the blatant violation of the US constitution that our government does every day?

Maybe we should amend the constitution to read "As a US citizen, you have the right to share everything about yourself or face prosecution, because unless you are a guilty criminal why should you care!"

Maybe sharing all of our data with corporations would be better, but wait, they already STEAL our information as the government has ruled that they own it, not us!

It isn't like we need to worry about China using that information to hack into our country's infrastructure in order to perform acts of war against us and determine where they can best attack us from. Wait, SANS reported this exact issue.

Our friends in Europe would never engage in this behavior either. Again, I just realized that is already happening!

No, maybe we all need to move to the boonies, learn to live off the land and... (excuse me while I answer the door, it appears the government is here to talk to me about my views, they just opened a re-education camp in my area)

Dave
Rod
Rod
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

I don't know, Steve. I have trouble with the concept of Big Brother, be it government or large corporate entities, knowing a great deal about me. Yes, it's a reality; yes, I know that. But I'm still not comfortable with it.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Jim P.
Jim P.
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)

Rafael A. Colón (7/17/2013)
Hi Steve:

I certainly like this idea however it also concerns me that data is a double edge blade it can be use for good or bad purposes depending on who have it. I'm not sure if the general public is ready to ride on this concept specially with the Snowden controversy happening right now. How the data will be handled and used is the imporant item in this proposal.

How many phone calls have you had for "cheap" trips to Vegas or from a Canadian Pharmacy? It got to the point I almost wanted to change my cell phone number I've had for over 10 years.

My name and cell number are practically public, what would they do with more private data?

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.