SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What is Biml? - Level 1

What is Biml? - Level 1

Author
ccamatthews
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Please sign me up for the series. Cannot wait.
theboyholty
theboyholty
Old Hand
Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)Old Hand (304 reputation)

Andy Leonard (7/17/2013)
Koen: thanks for answering Vijay's question!

theboyholty (7/17/2013)
You mentioned an article in the Stairway Series called "Building an Incremental Load Package – Level 3" maybe I'm being thick but I couldn't find that article. There was one called "Adding Rows in Incremental Loads - Level 3" but that had no mention of BIML.

Could you provide the link to the article please?

Hi Theboyholty,

"Building an Incremental Load Package - Level 3" is the title of the third installment in this series - the Stairway to Biml. As I type, Level 2 of this series (entitled Biml Basics - Level 2) has been written, edited, and is being scheduled by our most capable SQLServerCentral editor-in-chief, Steve Jones. Level 3 (Building an Incremental Load Package - Level 3) and Level 4 (Using Biml as an SSIS Design Patterns Engine – Level 4) are being revised by the authors, Paul Waters and myself. We have the demo built for Level 5 through Level 8 or so, and we are outlining the articles.

I promise we will get the articles published as soon as we can. Biml is exciting new technology - game-changing technology, in my opinion.

Bruce and Roshan Joe, I believe Biml will deliver. I look forward to your feedback as the series progresses.

:{>

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking forward to seeing how Biml might be of use in the future.
radamesort
radamesort
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Looking forward to learning BIML, thanks for the articles Andy :-)
sql_er
sql_er
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)SSC Eights! (873 reputation)

Hi,

Is there a way we can be notified if the next series article gets published (other than watching emails from SQL ServerCentral.com)?

Thanks!
imz
imz
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (124 reputation)

Sounds very promising. Looking forward to reading the next level.
Bruce W Cassidy
Bruce W Cassidy
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Some interesting additional reading here: http://bimlscript.com/
Samuel Vella
Samuel Vella
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I created something similar in .NET recently for SSIS 2008 as part of a Masters project. It basically encapsulated and simplified the access to the SSIS object model allowing packages to be quickly built in C# using simple declarations and methods.

Creating a For Each Loop container:

ForEachLoopContainer ForEachFile = new ForEachLoopContainer(SQ, 
"For Each File",
"C:\\Data",
"IncomingData.csv",
"FileName");

Inserting a SQL Task into the container:

SQLTask LogFile = new SQLTask(ForEachFile, 
"Log File",
OleDBConnectionString,
"insert into Filelog
(InputFileName, DateProcessed)
values(?, getdate())");

I thought that the advantage of this over the BIML model was that it meant developers already fluent in SSIS and C# didn't have to learn another language.
s_osborne2
s_osborne2
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

sql_er (7/17/2013)
Hi,

Is there a way we can be notified if the next series article gets published (other than watching emails from SQL ServerCentral.com)?

Thanks!

Follow Andy on Twitter, he tweets when new articles are addded.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSE: Data Platform
MCSE: Business Intelligence
Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne
David Dye
David Dye
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)

Great article! Thanks Andy!
Misha_SQL
Misha_SQL
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I am surprised I've never heard about BIML previously. I wonder if a lot of folks out there use it or is this something new?

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.