I have upgraded several Database instances form SQL 2000 to 2008 R2 and I am in the process of the following migrations:
Upgrade a Report Server (Currently SQL 2005), this report server contains replicated data from a SQL 2000 machine and is also the distributer and subscriber. I've built the new instance in readiness to move the DBs and have created the new distributer however I am unable to add the SQL 2000 Instance to the publishers list. The errors are of two types:
1) SQL Server Replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server. Connections through a server alias, IPAddress, or any other alternate name are not supported. Specify the actual server name, 'AliasName'.
The SQL 2000 Server is clustered so an alias is used, however this clustered node will be upgraded also soon.
2) When I provide the Alias Name, then I receive the following error:
SQL Server cannot connect to Server 'AliasName'. Do you still want to add this Server to the list.
Failed to connect to server 'AliasName'.(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo).
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The Server was not found or was not accessible. verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)(Microsoft SQL Server).
1)SQL browser Service is enabled
2) TCP Connections are enabled
3) I can connect to the SQL 2000 Node by using the instance Name but not the alias name via SQL Server Management Studio without any problems, this error only occurs through the the adding of publishers via the new distributer.
4) I have disabled the firewall locally and the error still occurs.
i've read through the following:
This error isnt making any sense to me? Does anyone have any suggestions?