Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Intrusion of Life

The Intrusion of Life

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Intrusion of Life

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Abrar Ahmad_
Abrar Ahmad_
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)SSC Veteran (253 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good to play with intrusions, but if everyone may have these skills developed.

Meanwhile, having a good boss is a very good luck :-D
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

If I have to make a decision between family and work, family wins every time. I can usually make up the work interruptions but the employer has to be flexible.

Tom
HABK24
HABK24
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Very well stated, Steve. Thank you for sharing that and confirming to others (and me) that work is not #1 on the totem pole. Allow me to share my priority list ... #1. Cultivate my relationship with the Lord, #2. Cultivate my relationship with my wife, #3. Cultivate my relationship with my children, #4. Cultivate relationships with extended family and friends ... notice that all of my priority items are directly related to relationships. Work is merely a vehicle that provides both financial means and opportunity to provide for my family and help others who are not as blessed as I.
thorkw
thorkw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon.

Work is work, but in a lot of ways, it's not like real life.
cksid
cksid
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

One of the things I like about my job is that I can go to my boss and say "Family emergency.." tell him what it is and I can leave that moment. The job has pushed me beyond my patience on many items, but when I had to leave at a moments notice two times on my job and leave for two weeks at a time and they allowed me to do that. There was no hemming or hawing, just "Go ahead." Of course my laptop went with me, I checked my emails and solved issues as they came up, and had my phone with me.

Christy
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

What you say says a ton about your company!

Compassion is hard if not darn near impossible to find at times. You are luck to have found it!

And honesty of this caliber is priceless.

Thanks!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Dalkeith
Dalkeith
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (162 reputation)

Very true but at its best work is progressing society. So working hard and providing for your family may not be completely contradictory.

But yes chose your battles progressing society is not any one person's responsibility
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

"My boss was very supportive and understood I might cancel the trip if my family needed me"

If only the other 99% of the world worked this way. :-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

cksid (7/2/2013)
One of the things I like about my job is that I can go to my boss and say "Family emergency.." tell him what it is and I can leave that moment. The job has pushed me beyond my patience on many items, but when I had to leave at a moments notice two times on my job and leave for two weeks at a time and they allowed me to do that. There was no hemming or hawing, just "Go ahead." Of course my laptop went with me, I checked my emails and solved issues as they came up, and had my phone with me.

Christy

I have known many in the past that have claimed this "family emergency" only to find them out on the golf course later that day. SO BUSTED! So, in some ways I can understand managment's skeptical attitude on this at times. It can and does get abused. Most of those people are long gone though, but we get their replacements in all the time!:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.