SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Problem in SQL Server - Service Account

Problem in SQL Server - Service Account

Author
amarnath.sahadevan
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,
Recently I am getting below error in all my SQL server error log, the error occured repeatedly. I just googled for this issues, so far i didn't find the clear solution. Can any one please help me to fix this issue. Thanks

Error Log:

2013-06-24 12:30:41.49 Logon Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\SERVICEACCOUNT'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
2013-06-24 12:31:41.59 Logon Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 38.

Regards,
Amar
HanShi
HanShi
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Take a look at the name of the database under option "Default database" in the properties of the LOGIN. This database is probably deleted or offline or the user doesn't have access to that database.
Correct the issue with the database or change the name to a database that is accessible for this login.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
amarnath.sahadevan
amarnath.sahadevan
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Hi HanShi,

This Login is service account login and it is under Sysadmin role and the default database is "Master" DB in the Login properties.

Regards,
Amar
MiguelSQL
MiguelSQL
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)SSC Veteran (280 reputation)

I had a similar issue.

Check if the domain Service Account belongs to any group that's already on the Login list, and check the default database setting.

In my case, the Group was listed before (alphabetically) than the actual service account on the login list
Andrew G
Andrew G
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Sometimes this will tell you the group (sometimes not if theyre in multiple groups with access)
xp_logininfo 'loginName'

amarnath.sahadevan
amarnath.sahadevan
Grasshopper

Hi,

Found the issue, in some of the servers recently we stopped the SSRS service and detached the ReportServer and ReportServerTemp DB from the SQL instances since we are not using SSRS. while running maintanence plan for transactional log back up in the instances, its trying to create transactional log backup for missing DB's, because of unavailability of the database its generating the above mentioned error.

Actually there is a maintanence plan for creating transaction log backup and it is pushed down from master server to all other target servers and option was set to database log backup task is "All user db's excluding system db's", this caused the problem.

Even if I remove the ReportServer DB's in the target servers, the maintanence plan in master server still trying to create a log backup for missing user db's in targer servers.

I just modified Maintanence Plan option to specific databases, still the error is NOT stopped generating. If I attached the ReportServer DB's again, its stopped generating the error.

Not sure, I think need to clear the entries in meta tables in target server related to maint plan... Any idea ?

Thanks for your guidance.

Regards,
Amar
Andrew G
Andrew G
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

You need to change the default database for the login which is running the maintenance plan, it must be set to the reportserver database.
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

:-)

amarnath.sahadevan
Grasshopper

Hi Andrew,

The default DB for the login properties is Master DB and also there is NO reportserver DB's since there is no SSRS service running on the server. Thanks.

Regards,
Amar
Andrew G
Andrew G
SSCrazy

I just re-read your last post and understand now, the maintenance plan is still looking for the reportserver db even though its gone.
From what I've read elsewhere, and since you've tried modifying the maintenance plan and still have the issue, you'll need to recreate the master maintenance plan so it can detect the database has been removed.
This is one of the reasons to use a custom backup script instead of maintenance plans. You can get started with Ola Hallagrens backup scripts here: http://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-backup.html
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.