SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Advanced Clustering Question: how can I monitor Clustered MSDTC Transaction Statistics

Advanced Clustering Question: how can I monitor Clustered MSDTC Transaction Statistics

Author
jpSQLDude
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We have a robust 3-node cluster that includes Clustered MSDTC. You can see Transaction Statistics by using the Component Services snap-in for MMC. I don't have an exact screenshot, but see this one -- you would double-click on Transaction Statistics and see a bunch of numbers...

(I got that from here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/02/18/how-to-configure-multiple-instances-of-distributed-transaction-coordinator-dtc-on-a-windows-server-failover-cluster-2008.aspx)

But how can I read these values programmatically, so I can track them over time, store them into a SQL database, alert on them, etc?

Any help appreciated!
rajaster
rajaster
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You will need to read data from the COM+ Catalog:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ms679168(v=vs.85).aspx

"The COM+ catalog provides a layer of abstraction over the actual details of where and how COM+ configuration data is stored. Much of the data is stored in the COM+ registration database (or RegDB), which holds data for all configured components installed in COM+ applications. This database is used at application run time to provide configuration data to COM+ to properly activate objects in an appropriate context, enabling services to be provided for objects per their configuration. The RegDB itself is a transacted resource manager that uses DTC transactions through the compensating resource manager; when you make persisted configuration changes, they are committed transactionally. The only way that you can access the RegDB is through the COM+ catalog, using the COMAdmin objects or the Component Services administrative tool."

It sounds like you may be able to connect to the COM+ Catalog RegDB database using VB.net:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YvTwDUld1LEC&lpg=PA350&ots=UaB0R5bUxQ&dq=access%20com%2B%20RegDB%20Database&pg=PA350#v=onepage&q=access%20com+%20RegDB%20Database&f=false

Have a look at the above at page 350+ and you may be able to get some ideas, going further this isn't something I've done before as i'm not a developer so these are just purely links that may provide you with more information.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.