Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error converting data type varchar to numeric in CASE statement

Error converting data type varchar to numeric in CASE statement

Author
Chrissy321
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Sorry for the narrative but I can't seem to generate sample data to reproduce my problem...

I have a WHERE clause that worked reliably but is now generating the an error: Error converting data type varchar to numeric.

WHERE CASE Column1 WHEN 'ABC' THEN 1 ELSE CONVERT(decimal(20,6),Column2)END) IS NOT NULL

Column1 is varchar(100). Column2 is varchar(50).

If a comment out the WHERE clause and place the code in question in the select statement the query runs.

ISNUMERIC indicates column2 can be converted (when column1 <> 'ABC')

Somewhat mystified...
Ray M
Ray M
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Your sure your table does not have characters in column2 where column1 <> 'abc' ?
Chrissy321
Chrissy321
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

This works

SELECT
CONVERT(decimal(20,6),Column2)
FROM ....
WHERE column1 <> 'abc'
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Chrissy321 (6/19/2013)
This works

SELECT
CONVERT(decimal(20,6),Column2)
FROM ....
WHERE column1 <> 'abc'

What about this?

This will likely throw the same error

select *
from
where column1 = 1

How about:

select *
from
where IsNumeric(Column1) = 0

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Chrissy321
Chrissy321
Say Hey Kid

>>where column1 = 1
This throws the error Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '-4.67625' to data type int.

>>where IsNumeric(Column1) = 0

This will exclude one row. This is the row I intend to catch in my CASE statement where Column1 is null.

where IsNumeric(Column1) = 0 shows one row, again the statement I intend to includ in my case statement.

Thanks
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Well then you have something else going on. We are at an extreme disadvantage since we don't know your table structures.

The following code works just fine.

if OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#MyData') is not null
   drop table #MyData

create table #MyData
(
   SomeVal varchar(10)
)

insert #MyData
select '10' union all
select '125' union all
select '-4.67625' union all
select 'abc'

select * , case SomeVal when '-4.67625' then 2 when 'abc' then 1 else CONVERT(decimal(20,6), SomeVal) end
from #MyData

From what you have posted that is as close as I can get to your issue here. I can't imagine why you are getting the convert to int error since you said you are converting to decimal. If you can post the table structure and the entire query you running it will help understand what is going on.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Chrissy321
Chrissy321
Say Hey Kid

I appreciate you spending any time on this at all since it seems like a data issue,

Below is more representative of the situation. Removing the WHERE statement and the query will run. Its when I include the CASE statement in the query and check if it is not null where the error is generated

drop table #MyData

create table #MyData
(
   SomeVal varchar(10),
   SomeVal2 varchar(10)
)

insert #MyData
select '10', 'DEF' union all
select '125', 'HIJ' union all
select '-4.67625', 'LMN' union all
select NULL, 'ABC'

select
case SomeVal2 when 'abc' then 1 else CONVERT(decimal(20,6), SomeVal)END
from #MyData
WHERE
   case SomeVal2 when 'abc' then 1 else CONVERT(decimal(20,6), SomeVal) end IS NOT NULL
Sean Lange
Sean Lange
SSCoach

Chrissy321 (6/19/2013)
I appreciate you spending any time on this at all since it seems like a data issue,

Below is more representative of the situation. Removing the WHERE statement and the query will run. Its when I include the CASE statement in the query and check if it is not null where the error is generated

What happens if you drop the case expression in the where clause? It really is not necessary because you have said that if the value is not 'ABC' then use the decimal conversion. This is the same thing as just checking for NULL.

select
from #MyData
WHERE SomeVal2 IS NOT NULL

Chrissy321
Chrissy321
Say Hey Kid

It works if I drop it in the case statement but I think I need it. Additional sample data below.

I want to exclude XYZ and include ABC replacing its NULL with 1

drop table #MyData

create table #MyData
(
   SomeVal varchar(10),
   SomeVal2 varchar(10)
)

insert #MyData
select '10', 'DEF' union all
select '125', 'HIJ' union all
select '-4.67625', 'LMN' union all
select NULL, 'ABC' union all
select NULL, 'XYZ'

select
from #MyData
WHERE
   case SomeVal2 w
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

I've just skimmed this thread so apologies if this is not what you're looking for. But why not adjust the WHERE clause as follows:

where SomeVal2 = 'ABC' or SomeVal is not null

I think it's equivalent.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.