SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Backup SQL 2008 Small DB-Need Profesional Help

Backup SQL 2008 Small DB-Need Profesional Help

Author
Dird
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
drnorbert (6/15/2013)

This is a great solution.
This command are execute in a query?

It can be executed in a query to test it. First you would need to create the folders on the machines & share them with read/write access.
Once you've tested it successfully (for database & transaction log backups) then you can create a Maintenance Plan that will backup to those servers the databases (full; every night) and transaction logs (every 15 minutes).

drnorbert (6/15/2013)

No SMTP server. Can we use an live.com?
I can't find YouTube for configuring the Mail feature.

It seems you can. Read this page for details on setting up the Mail feature to send to your live.com account.

Dird
drnorbert
drnorbert
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Hi Dird
I am trying to figure out how you are attaching my responses with your reply massages as well as the images such as:
:-)

Thanks for the details about setting up the Mail with live.com.

I am executing the query as per your instructions:

1)
Execute:
BACKUP DATABASE ISMDATA TO DISK='C:\ISMBACKUP\db.bak'

Processed 273864 pages for database 'ISMDATA', file 'ISMDATA_dat' on file 1.
Processed 1 pages for database 'ISMDATA', file 'ISMDATA_log' on file 1.
BACKUP DATABASE successfully processed 273865 pages in 58.470 seconds (36.592 MB/sec).

Is this means that the log is backup together with each execution or is a different command for the transaction log every 15 min?

2)
When add MIRROR I am getting an error msg.
Execute:
MIRROR TO DISK='\\Guardiavieja\ISMDATABU\db.bak'

Use WITH FORMAT to create a new mirrored backup set.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

3)
Do I need to shrink the DB?
Dird
Dird
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)

drnorbert (6/16/2013)

Is this means that the log is backup together with each execution or is a different command for the transaction log every 15 min?

I don't understand your question. The statement you ran backed up the database. To backup the transaction log you would need to use a different command (BACKUP LOG) to a different file on disk. You will need to use a scheduled job to backup them automatically on a regular basis (e.g. database backup 1 time per day; log backup every 15 minutes).

drnorbert (6/16/2013)

Because you already used db.bak for a non-mirrored backup you must recreate the formatting. The first time you run it use:
MIRROR TO DISK='\\Guardiavieja\ISMDATABU\db.bak' WITH FORMAT

After the first time you can remove the WITH FORMAT option.

drnorbert (6/16/2013)

No.

Edit: To attach the text you click the "Quote" button instead of "Reply" but then I make them shorter by adding extra (quote) (/quote) statements and deleting text that isn't important.

Dird
drnorbert
drnorbert
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Dird (6/16/2013)
drnorbert (6/16/2013)

I don't understand your question. The statement you ran backed up the database. To backup the transaction log you would need to use a different command (BACKUP LOG) to a different file on disk. You will need to use a scheduled job to backup them automatically on a regular basis (e.g. database backup 1 time per day; log backup every 15 minutes).

drnorbert (6/16/2013)

Because you already used db.bak for a non-mirrored backup you must recreate the formatting. The first time you run it use:
MIRROR TO DISK='\\Guardiavieja\ISMDATABU\db.bak' WITH FORMAT

After the first time you can remove the WITH FORMAT option.

drnorbert (6/16/2013)

No.

Edit: To attach the text you click the "Quote" button instead of "Reply" but then I make them shorter by adding extra (quote) (/quote) statements and deleting text that isn't important.

drnorbert
drnorbert
Grasshopper

Thanks Dird you helped me a lot.
Can I get your contact info in case I need your professional services?
Dird
Dird
Mr or Mrs. 500

I sent my email in a PM but you can just reply to this thread again & I will receive email notifications anyways

Dird
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.