Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

IP Address Doesnt turn from offline to online

IP Address Doesnt turn from offline to online

Author
rajborntodare
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
No one got an answer..Crying
HanShi
HanShi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

please provide an update of all actions you have done since the last post:
- have you checked if perhaps the IP-address is allready in use?
- have you rebooted (if business permits you) one or more cluster nodes?
- have you deleted and re-created the IP-address cluster resouce?

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
HanShi
HanShi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

rajborntodare (6/11/2013)
I agree with u but exactly happened is this

Out of 4 IP address from 4 different application,

one gets pinged but i can not bring that online.

other 3 doesn't ping

Your remark one gets pinged but i can not bring that online. indicates the IP-address is allready in use by another resource (server/PC/network device). An IP-address has to be unique within a network and can only be assigned to one single device. Check which device is currently using the IP-address (PING -a www.xxx.yyy.zzz or NSLOOKUP) and assign this device another IP-address or assign a different IP-address to the cluster resource of SQL. Make sure the DNS matches all changes in IP-addresses.

rajborntodare
rajborntodare
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (111 reputation)

I have tried bringing it online manually,

I have tried by rebooting both the primary servers i have,

they are assigned to the particular applications.

They are manual assigned IP's not DHCP.

i havent tried in deleting and creating new one because i am not much familiar with that work.

My manager said he gonna get ilo permission and then do check the current IP address mentioned.

While checking Ipconfig /all in CMD i havent seen any of the IP address which are offline.

But in wonder one among them does respond to the ping. but when i tried to bring it online it fails.

If you do not get a picture. I can explain everything....AGAIN....
Lowell
Lowell
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

you didn't mention if you followed HanShi's advice about pinging all the ip addresses you think you want to use for your cluster; it really does sound like somethign has already been manually assigned the IP address you think you want to use.

ping 10.0.1.155 or whatever the IP address is;

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

arnipetursson
arnipetursson
Old Hand
Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)

If the resource is not on line and it responds to a ping, then it is likely being used by something else.

Run nslookup and tracert for the IP. It may give you something useful.
HanShi
HanShi
Hall of Fame

rajborntodare (6/17/2013)
one among them does respond to the ping. but when i tried to bring it online it fails.

If you can ping the IP-address without the corresponding cluster resource being online, this indicates the IP-address is allready in use by another device. Try the following commands (from the commandprompt) to retrieve the name of the device currently using the IP-address:
ping -a {ip-address}
nslookup {ip-address}
When the IP-address is currently in use (you can ping it) it will NOT be possible to bring the IP-cluster resource online. Only when the IP-address fails to be pinged you can bring the cluster resource online.
Shut down the device currently using the IP-address and then you can bring the cluster resource online.

rajborntodare
rajborntodare
SSC-Enthusiastic

Guys,

It gave me some information..

The IP which pings gave the device name on which it got assigned is the same application,

BUT showing offline
rajborntodare
rajborntodare
SSC-Enthusiastic

[quote]HanShi (6/17/2013)
[quote]rajborntodare (6/17/2013)

nslookup {ip-address}

on using this command, among 4 3 show non-exixtent domain

only one show the application name as i said in earlier post

Hehe rookie here
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

With the clustered ip resource offline try an RDP connection to the IP address ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.