SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Beginners Look at Hadoop

A Beginners Look at Hadoop

Author
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Beginners Look at Hadoop

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Nice article, but I doubt I have the confidence to try this at home...
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

paul s-306273 (6/5/2013)
Nice article, but I doubt I have the confidence to try this at home...

With Virtual Box and Ubuntu its pretty easy to get started with Linux.
Using the Cloudera image is also very easy.

If you cock it all you will lose is a bit of disk space until such time as you delete the virtual image. Well, maybe a couple of evenings as well!

The only reason I haven't got it running on my home PC is that I've got an ancient 32bit PC with 3GB RAM running Windows XP and cannot run the Cloudera versions after CDH3 and CDH4.1 onwards are the ones where you have a GUI to play with.

Have a look at the SQLBits website for Justin Langford's presentation on HDInsight. Again, its very easy to install this on a Windows box and get started. The idea is that you have a local instance even though it is just one node. It's good enough to try the mechanical bits and bobs even if you haven't got the benefit of the full map-reduce.

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Okay - I'll try that when I have some free evenings.

Thanks David.
Ross McMicken
Ross McMicken
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

You might also want to take a look at Splunk. I've heard good things about its ability to analyze gigabytes of data quickly. http://www.splunk.com/?r=header
Paul Brewer
Paul Brewer
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)

Great article, the first I've read that clearly and simply explains what Hadoop is. Thanks
gclausen
gclausen
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

Great article!! Do you think it is worth learning a little bit of Java for this?
alen teplitsky
alen teplitsky
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

i'm looking at this as well. i've had it with full text indexing for a security log analysis solution i built up over the years. looking at analysis services and hadoop.

playing with SSAS for now and will try hadoop later.
Greg_Della-Croce
Greg_Della-Croce
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

I enjoyed the article. Like others I have been in the Windows world for a very long time, and Linux is something of a new adventure for me. I just finished, with a lot of help from my friends, a RedHat 17 based NAS for my home network.

I am interested in the "WHAT" of Hadoop. As in what would it be used for in business? Would you or someone give some hard examples of uses?

GregDC
alex.d.garland
alex.d.garland
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)

David.Poole (6/5/2013)

Have a look at the SQLBits website for Justin Langford's presentation on HDInsight. Again, its very easy to install this on a Windows box and get started. The idea is that you have a local instance even though it is just one node. It's good enough to try the mechanical bits and bobs even if you haven't got the benefit of the full map-reduce.

Hi David, I attended Justin's talk at SQLBits, don't know if you were also there in person (a good introduction I thought).

I had a quick word with him at the end and asked if there were any good walkthroughs or practical exercises for HDInsight newbies and he recommended this by Cindy Gross: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cindygross/archive/2013/01/31/mash-up-hive-sql-server-data-in-powerpivot-amp-power-view-hurricane-sandy-2012.aspx

I haven't had a chance to work through it yet but may well do soon, like yourself I've recently got a Linux installation up and running (Fedora) but suspect that the MS version will be a gentler learning curve to start off with.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.