OK, I am in charge of specifying our new SQL server, our server now is 5 years old and we are seeing some performance issues. We are a small company and I am as close to a DBA as we have so bear with me.
A few questions keep coming up…
1. Physical or virtual? All of our servers now are virtual expect our SQL server.
2. Should the report server be on a separate server than the database?
3. We are running Backup Exec on our database server, is this ok?
Our current server is as follows, do you see any issues with this setup?
Dell Power Edge
• Windows server 2008 r2 sp1
• SQL 2008 r2 Standard
• 24 gb RAM
• 2x 4 core, Intel Xeon X5365 300GHz
• A single Raid 5 (4 SCSI 15000 rpm drives)
Also we are wanting to upgrade to SQL 2012